Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010

I proudly anounce that nlab has a stubby and shy, but important Hitchin fibration with redirect Hitchin system. Very hot topic nowdays (not only because of Ngo/Laumon proof of the Fundamental Lemma but for many other sides of the story and its importance in physics.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010
    • (edited Aug 19th 2010)

Update today (a reference due James Arthur) and notice about Ngô Bảo Châu in the text on Hitchin fibration, reflects his expected reception of the Fields medal this morning at ICM (link to all prizes)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2012
    • (edited Nov 9th 2012)

Urs has kindly added the Langlands correspondence FTOC to the page. Thanks.

I disagree however with the change in the name of Carlos T. Simpson into Carlos Simpson in the reference on Higgs bundle, so I reversed it to Carlos T. Simpson. As a matter of bibliographic principle, I think that the names attached to references have to use the name version which is in this particular publication, even if it is nonstandard (e.g. Victor Ginzburg has at least one old publication under Ginsburg). We can abbreviate the names to initials, when we wan to save space. One sometimes forgets or has no time to lookup for some initial in a hurry, so in practice sometimes they are missing, but one should not drop them intentionally, especially if already correctly recorded. I mean, whenever we achieve some level of precision we should keep it if possible.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Did I delete something? Sorry, I forget. Could it be that you didn’t have a hyperlink and I made it a hyperlink?

I think when we hyperlink a name the entry behind the link serves to provide as much information on the person as one would hope for. So if that’s what happened then no precision was really removed.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Nov 9th 2012)

Thanks for concern, never mind, just a matter of principle. It seems you however did not get the subtlety about which I wrote.

hyperlink a name the entry behind the link serves to provide as much information on the person as one would hope for

This is not true: as I explained in 3, the citation (like here) is often reference-specific, so the general info on person (even if complete as one would hope for) is not implying which of many forms a person used in his/her life is used in this particular reference which we are citing: hence if we are citing it correctly we should not remove that info by hoping for being in agreement with the canonical form of the name in biography entry. It is not about the info on the author but the info on the particular paper – its canonical full reference (we often use nnLab citations to speed up collecting references for our own reports and papers).

For example, if the reference used the name in nonstandard format (like Ginsburg reference instead of Ginzburg) the reference to Victor Ginzburg will not help at all. Plus, in practice, we often simply copy the full reference from nnLab elsewhere rather than looking for info on every of its hyperlinked parts to reassemble and reevaluate the information. Again, the issue is of course minor.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2012
    • (edited Nov 10th 2012)

Okay, I see.

Maybe the best way to deal with this is: make sure that all the different versions of the name redirect to the person’s nLab entry. Because then I can just put double square brackets around whatever you type and we’ll both be happy! :-)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2012
    • (edited Nov 10th 2012)
    The double brackets have the possibility, as you know, with the bar in the middle to have one appearance and another redirect. If one uses double bracket one knows that the person entry exists, so one has checked the entry title. To put all the possibilities of redirect is sometimes too repetitive (some have 10 and more versions) what is yet another way to slow down the database. I usually for people write version Andrew Bozo as default and A. Bozo as redirect, and I do rarely put redirects to possible mixed versions like Andy P. Bozo.
    Thus there are usually 1-2 extra redirects for a name only. If I use two initials in redirect I put the space in between, hence A. P. Bozo and not A.P: Bozo, though I sometimes write the second if not in proper redirect format. Many entries unfortunately take the default informal name. I discovered recently that the canonical name James Stasheff does not work, as the entry is Jim Stasheff, though most of his publication use original James (and often also middle initial). This was surprise to me, as I kno that many of his references are used in the $n$Lab. Even Daniel Quillen is in $n$Lab often informal as Dan Quillen what I find strange as we were not his acquiantances.
    • CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2023

Addresses like http:arxiv4.library.cornell.edu/abs/0806.4566 are obsolete and do not work, so I corrected some. Added the reference of Gaiotto et al.

diff, v15, current