Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010

New entry string topology, short sentence and several complete references, with links.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Of course, respective changes at Dennis Sullivan and Behrang Noohi.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Apr 8th 2010)

We still do not have Poincaré duality, so I created just a frame with one link. Too tired to think about how to write it. I hope somebody will write something about nPOV on string topoology. In topology department we also still miss entries for Thom space and Spanier-Whitehead duality, both of course related to Poincaré duality. I added still more references to string topology.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

thanks for starting string topology, I added some hyperlinks.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Not quite sure how this happened, but we have 'Poincare duality', 'Poincaré duality', and 'Poinca%C3%A9 duality'. The second redirects to the first, but the third seems to be a page by itself. I presume that the first two are the ones that we should go with so I've replaced the third with a simple link to Poincare duality (renaming it doesn't seem too important, and there's no history or content to preserve there, so it could be deleted).

Hope this is okay.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

I probably messed it up, by copying and pasting the URL from wikipedia, hoping it does correct translation for the page name with é in the title, but our system did not accept it. However it somehow keeps in memory bad atttempts. Thanks.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I guess the point being made here is not a vacuous one.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Apr 8th 2010)

If the system sent me the message when I write nlab/new/weird+page+name that there is a system error and does not reply with the box to type the content, I assume that the page is NOT created. Then later Andrew says he finds the weird page name as one of the created pages and tries to help to clean the mess up. Why on Earth, the system remembers unsuccessful attempts to create a page in which the browser notified the actor with the message that there was an error in finding the web page with the entry box ? this is not about keyboards what Toby was talking about, but a bug in software. I should be able to try and change until I make a web page with the content and the title I am content with. Nothing else (apart from old versions saved after no activity in a descent amount of time) should remain in the database. I never created the page ’Poinca%C3%A9 duality’ as far as I could tell. Computer told me error and I did not type any content. If the computer possibly accepted and said OK, but with a bad outcome, I would change the name instantnly and would not keep the redirect to the old name if I did the change in few seconds and hence think that reasonably nobody cited it (what I can check in the meantime if somebody did). Then in the database you would see just possibly the redirects which were intentional and functional.

You see when one changes a name of the entry, the software automatically types the redirect line for the previous name in the entry box. But if I check that the old name was never cited in nlab and do the change very quickly afterwards, I feel free to erase the redirect line from the new version of the entry. This is about all kinds of changes, not only about accented characters but also things like BV-BRST quantization vs. BV theory and so on. But currently the system leaves the old name in the database, it seems to me, anyway. Even if I erased the redirect as unwanted. And then weird things happen. This is not, in my opinion, the way the things should be.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

What can I say, except that no system is perfect!

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010

But it looks very simple from logical point of view: if something is renamed, the old name is not treated as a name in the database unless it is explicitly a redirect. I do not see what is complicated here from the point of view of updating the database. I thought that it worked that way, at least in certain period.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010

Oh my worries were addressed in another entry as too serious look at a temporary cache phenomenon. Never mind.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2010

I edited the Idea-section at string topology

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2011

Added to string topology first details on the string product and the BV-operator.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added the pull-push charscterization of the string product

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 28th 2011)

expanded and corrected the list of references about who did what concerning the interpretation of string topology operations as extended TQFT

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011
    • (edited Jun 8th 2011)

Yiannis Vlassopoulos and Maxim Kontsevich have a current collaboration on an approach to string topology via moduli spaces of marked Riemann surfaces; there is a growing preprint in statu nascendi.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks, good to know. Do you have anything that one could look at?

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Talk to Yiannis, he sketched the approach very roughly to me at the board a year ago, and said that the article was only partly written and should be finished in few months, but he was changing places in the meantime (with few months at IHES and few away).

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011
    • (edited Jul 23rd 2011)

Sander Kupers kindly points out to me this article which constructs string topology as an HQFT for target spaces that are classifying spaces of finite groups and compact Lie groups.

That’s interesting, I had not been aware before that this has been accomplished. As the authors remark (on p. 35), one would expect that the string topology of the classifying space of a discrete group GG is closely related to GG-Dijkgraaf-Witten theory. That would be most interesting.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2014
    • (edited Jul 11th 2014)

Slides by Ralph Cohen, Calabi-Yau categories, string topology, and Floer field theory, pdf from the 2014 topological conference this June (2014) in Dubrovnik. Quotes some results of the above mentioned collaboration of Vlassopoulos and Kontsevich.

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2020

have added these pointers, on the perspective of regarding string topology-operations as the TQFT of a topological string sigma model:

Haven’t managed yet to get hold of a copy of the first. If anyone has a pdf, I’d be grateful.

diff, v26, current

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2020

fixed the publication data for this item:

diff, v27, current

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2022

Publication data in Contemp. Math. added to the reference BlumbergCoheneTeleman09 (before referred by arXiv only)

diff, v29, current

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2023
    • Kate Gruher, Paolo Salvatore, Generalized string topology operations, Proc. London Math. Soc. 96:1 (2008) 78–106 doi math.AT/0602210

diff, v30, current