Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2020

Clarified relationship between polycategories, properads and PROPs.

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2020

Hmm… I preferred the original text. It might be worth adding a remark that PROPs also allow composition along zero objects at once, giving a “tensoring” operator, but I think that the PROP level of generality is the more natural one and ought to be emphasized over properads.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • (edited Mar 26th 2020)

Could you explain why you think PROPs are the more natural notion than properads? To my eyes, polycategories and properads seem the most tightly related concepts, because they’re both natural generalisations of multicategories, depending on whether you generalise the partial or multiple notion of composition. While PROPs also seem like a natural notion, they seem further removed from polycategories. I’m not attached to the wording, and it could be worth having a note about how PROPs are “better” (in whatever sense), but if you think properads should be de-emphasised, it would be really good to have an explanation why (on the page). Thanks :)

(Edit: I agree mentioning the composition over zero objects is a good idea.)

• CommentRowNumber4.

Well, as I said, PROPs also generalize the multiple notion of composition in a polycategory; it’s just a question of whether you generalize the set {1}\{1\} to the set {1,2,3,}\{1,2,3,\dots\} or the set {0,1,2,3,}\{0,1,2,3,\dots\}. I think the latter is nearly always the more natural generalization, e.g. monoids are more important than semigroups, categories are more important than semicategories, categories with all finite products are more important than categories with only nonempty finite products, connected spaces should generally be considered to be nonempty, etc.

In fact, though, I think PROPs are more natural even than polycategories, so it’s kind of backwards to motivate PROPs by talking about whether they’re closer or further from polycategories anyway. (-:

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • (edited Mar 26th 2020)

Well, as I said, PROPs also generalize the multiple notion of composition in a polycategory; it’s just a question of whether you generalize the set {1}\{1\} to the set {1,2,3,}\{1,2,3,\dots\} or the set {0,1,2,3,}\{0,1,2,3,\dots\}.

Stated in this way, it does seem natural to allow 00. On the other hand, if you view the composition geometrically, it also seems natural to allow contractions of connected graphs, but not disconnected ones. So, I can see an argument for naturalness of both concepts independently. (I admit to having had little experience working practically with either properads or PROPs, however, so your intuition for what is natural is better than mine! My intuition stems mainly from my understanding of multicategories, in which this isn’t a question that even makes sense.)

In fact, though, I think PROPs are more natural even than polycategories, so it’s kind of backwards to motivate PROPs by talking about whether they’re closer or further from polycategories anyway. (-:

In any other context, starting with PROPs could well be the best place to start. However, in the context of a page on polycategories, the closeness of different concepts to polycategories seems like a relevant metric to use :P I’ve revised the text to make PROPs seem less like a second-class citizen on the page: do you think this is any better? My motivation for the ordering was solely based on the inclusion of concepts polycategoriesproperadsPROPs\text{polycategories} \subset \text{properads} \subset \text{PROPs}. Perhaps it would be better to have a specific page on comparisons between related operadic notions, though: then we avoid giving any one concept precedence.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2020

Added comments about the relation between symmetric and planar polycategories, which is more subtle than the multicategorical case.

diff, v13, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2022

link to LNL polycategories

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2022

Clarify that poly cats are for classical linear logic

diff, v16, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2022
    • (edited Oct 18th 2022)

Clarify that poly cats are for classical linear logic

Why classical? Isn’t it the case that you need duals (i.e. *-polycategories) for classical linear logic?