Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010

mathematical physics with a slight distinction from physical mathematics which points to the same entry. The relation to theoretical physics has been discussed, but I am not sure yet if we should have theoretical physics as a separate entry so I do not put is as another redirect.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks, that’s a nice entry. Good that you are taking care of this.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorIan_Durham

(Still lurking a bit.)

Actually, that’s an excellent entry. So good, in fact, I plan to use it in my classes.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010

Thanks.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2017

Igor Khavkine kindly pointed me to the text

Modern Mathematical Physics: what it should be? (arXiv:math-ph/0002018)

by Faddeev (who passed away this weekend). I have used some quotes from this text to accompany those we already had at mathematical physics.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2017
    • (edited Dec 23rd 2017)

added pointer to Dirac 78, and recorded the famous lines it has:

One should keep the need for a sound mathematical basis dominating one’s search for a new theory. Any physical or philosophical ideas that one has must be adjusted to fit the mathematics. Not the way round.

Too many physicists are inclined to start from some preconceived physical ideas and then to try to develop them and find a mathematical scheme that incorporates them. Such a line of attack is unlikely to lead to success. One runs into difficulties and finds no reasonable way out of them. One ought then to realize that one’s whole line of approach is wrong and to seek a new starting point with a sound mathematical basis.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2017
    • (edited Dec 23rd 2017)

also added pointer to Geroch 85 and Matolcsi 86

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2021

Added the reference

• Piotr Sułkowski, Quantum fields, strings, and physical mathematics, (arXiv:2104.03350)

diff, v22, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2021

added pointer to:

diff, v24, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added pointer to:

(only had listed part II, previously)

diff, v24, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added pointer to:

diff, v24, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2023
    • (edited Jan 24th 2023)

happening on this old entry, I ended up adjusting the wording in the Idea section a little (here), for readability.

And then — noticing that the bulk of the Idea section is amplifying how much wider in scope “theoretical physics” is compared to “mathematical physics” — I added this paragraph:

On the other hand, ever since Galilei (1623) (\sim “The book of nature is written in the language of mathematics.”), Hilbert (1930) (“The instrument that mediates between theory and practice, between thought and observation, is mathematics.” ) and Wigner (1959) (“The unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics in the natural sciences”) it may be understood that ultimately, when the dust has settled, all physics is mathematical physics.

diff, v26, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2023

added pointer to:

diff, v27, current