Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthoralexis.toumi
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2020

Creating stub. Adding two references.

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2020

Adding the definition of diagram.

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2020

Thanks. I have hyperlinked the key technical term “monoidal categories”. Also “Python”, for good measure.

I think your pointer to the GitHub page in the introduction should be included in the list of references.

I see that you have plenty of broken links on author names now. I suggest to only add square brackets on author names if their entry already exists or if you are about to create it right away. Because otherwise nobody will do it, generally, and the link will stay broken and look ugly forever.

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2020

Removing broken links for authors. Moving the GitHub link to the references. Adding some more hyperlinks in the intro (string diagram and monoidal functor).

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Dec 9th 2020)

Looks good!

I have added just a few more hyperlinks, such as for free monoid and for interchanger.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    Thanks a lot! I'll start adding more material for monoidal functors, and sections for natural language and quantum circuits.
    • CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Dec 9th 2020)

On a simpler note, maybe in the Idea-section would be the place to explain the name “DisCoPy”. (I gather “Py” is for “Python”, but I don’t know what “DisCo” is for.)

[edit: oh, I see it from the project home page now, it’s for “Distributional Compositional Ptython”. But it may still be good to explain what that is supposed to mean, in turn.]

And after reading the page I am still wondering what people actually do with the program. Do you prove theorems? Do you generate verified code for application elsewhere?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    Very good point, I'll add a sentence explaining the name and linking to the DisCoCat page https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/categorical+compositional+distributional+semantics

To answer your question about what people actually do with it, at first the story was that we wanted to implement monoidal functors from pregoup grammars (i.e. free rigid monoidal category) into the category of matrices, a.k.a. Distributional Compositional Categorical models. We thought that the Python machinery to manipulate string diagrams was useful enough to implement it for monoidal categories in general, rather writing ad hoc code for our particular use case.

Later we implemented functors into quantum circuits, and started running natural language processing experiments with today's available quantum computers. Now some independent projects are starting to pop up where people use the package to do things like matrix algebra over exotic number fields or generative modelling with probabilistic programs as diagrams (https://arxiv.org/abs/2011.11063).
    • CommentRowNumber9.

Adding a sentence to explain the name. Adding the definition of identity, tensor and composition of diagrams. Moving the proof assistant list to context.

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber10.

More material about functors, adding a section on natural language processing.

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2023

update links

diff, v11, current