Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorLuigi
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2021

separate page created

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2021
    • (edited Apr 29th 2021)

I have added the following commentary. What do you think:

This idea may usefully be compared – and maybe is in parts a way of turning into prose – the Ryu-Takayanagi formula (which has a more well-defined content is a theorem in a class of toy examples), which equates

with

For more on this see at holographic entanglement entropy.

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2021

I have further expanded (here) on the relation to the Ryu-Takayanagi formula, pointing out how the Majorana dimer code model of JGPE 19 gives a yet more concrete theorem resembling the “ER = EPR” slogan: They show that the entanglement entropy in a holographic tensor network model is encoded entirely by the underlying chord diagram, where each chord reflects two things at once:

1. (ER) an entangled pair of qbits at their endpoints on the boundary

2. (EPR) a geodesic through the hyperbolic bulk.

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2021

In the discussion of understanding “ER=EPR” as being about the RT-formula, I have added this remark:

A precursor to this picture is the “bit-thread”-interpretation of entanglement entropy due to Freedman & Headrick 16 (notice the use of “EPR pair” in their Figure 4.)

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2022

added pointer to yesterday’s preprint:

(which effectively claims priority on the issue)

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Dec 21st 2022)

made some adjustments to the wording around the referencing of Ryu & Takayanagi, and added the actual reference:

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have expanded the Idea-section a fair bit (here)

Incidentally, I am still fond of the suggestion to think of the slogan “ER = EPR” as like a Zen koan for the hard facts around the Ryu-Takayanagi formula (which I have taken the liberty of linking into the entry). When Peter Shor thinks (here) that this means not taking it seriously this seems to be a misunderstanding of the purpose of Zen koans.

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorGuest

I think Peter Shor’s point is that your point of view of “ER = EPR” as a mere slogan is significantly different from Leonard Susskind’s point of view of “ER = EPR” as some physical phenomena and that this difference in points of view has caused a lot of confusion amongst journalists, who has largely taken to Susskind’s view rather than yours.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I had another look at the “cool horizons” paper (arXiv:1306.0533) to remind myself of how exactly (or rather: how vaguely ;-) the claim is phrased.

This makes me think that a key problem in their presentation may be that it does not seem to become clear (if it is even intended) that the spacetime geometry reflecting any quantum entanglement is that of a holographic bulk, with the entangled quantum physics confined to the boundary wall.

Of course, if one conflates bulk and boundary in the Ryu-Takayanagi story, then it becomes confusing.

(Generally, i am wondering at times how many people really appreciate that all evidence points to us sitting on the “wall of the cave” with much of the holographic quantum gravity discussed these days happening in an unobserved bulk.)

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2023
    • (edited Jul 13th 2023)

added pointer to:

diff, v12, current