Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010

Added to T-duality a section with the discussion of the usual path-integral heuristics for why the two sigma-models on T-dual backgrounds yield equivalent quantum field theories.

1. Dear Urs,

the path integral heuristics behind path-integral sigma-models T-duality should actually be simpler (at least at the level of the naive idea). Namely, everything boils down to saying that the 2-torus obtained by opposite sides identification of [0,1]×[0,T][0,1]\times [0,T] and the one obtained by opposite sides identification of [0,1]×[0,1/T][0,1]\times [0,1/T] (both with the standard flat metric obtained by restriction from 2\mathbb{R}^2) are conformally equivalent.

A way of seeing this is to recall that up to conformal equivalence a 2-torus can be seen as a parallelogram in = 2\mathbb{C}=\mathbb{R}^2 with a vertex in 00, a vertex in 11 and the other vertex in τ\tau\in\mathbb{H}, where \mathbb{H} denotes the upper half-plane. The torus of parameter τ\tau and the one of parameter τ\tau' are conformally equivalent iff

τ=aτ+bcτ+d \tau'=\frac{a\tau+b}{c\tau+d}

with

(a b c d) \left( \array{ a&b\\ c&d }\right)

in SL(2;)SL(2;\mathbb{Z}). The two parameters iTi T and i/Ti/T are related by the matrix

S=(0 1 1 0) S=\left( \array{ 0&-1\\ 1&0 }\right)
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

True, but I do not quite see how you’d derive T-duality of the target space this way.

Also, one point of the computation I posted is that it also applies to the open string and shows the action of T-duality on D-branes.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthordomenico_fiorenza
    • (edited Jun 11th 2010)

Right, I misunderstood what you were referring to. now I see that what I wrote could have something to do with what you were saying, but at the moment I could not say exactly what.. :)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 11th 2010)

I think you are certainly right that the basic mechanism underlying T-duality is at least morally that of the SS-transformation on a torus. But I don’t quite see how one can upgrade this observation to a proof that two T-dual backgrounds give equivalent sigma-model QFTs. Possibly there is a way, though.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012

Correcting some typos at T-duality, I don’t know how to fix

A quick way to get an indication for this is to notice that the center-of-mass energy of the string in such a circle-bundle background is In terms of the worldsheet theory.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012

Thanks for catching this. Not sure what happened there. I have changed the sentence to

A quick way to get an indication for this is to consider the center-of-mass energy of the string in such a circle-bundle background.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2019

added pointer to today’s

diff, v45, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2019

Added a new reference

• Mark Bugden, A Tour of T-duality: Geometric and Topological Aspects of T-dualities, (arXiv:1904.03583)

diff, v46, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2022
    • (edited Aug 8th 2022)

added pointer to:

diff, v54, current

2. adding reference

• Hyungrok Kim, Christian Saemann, Non-Geometric T-Duality as Higher Groupoid Bundles with Connections (arXiv:2204.01783)

Anonymous

diff, v56, current