Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010
    I added some more information under Frobenius algebra. I would like to add the axioms in picture form, but I haven't figure out how to upload pictures yet. I'm sure I could figure it out if I wanted...
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010

Perhaps reading these instructions will help motivate you to figure it out. (I’m assuming that you already have a picture and you only need to figure out how to upload it.)

• CommentRowNumber3.

By the way, I also put the bibliograph all in one place and inserted internal links to it. I hope that works for you.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • (edited Jul 20th 2010)

Yes, the bibliography is great, Toby! Thanks!

I just added a few more references, and, more importantly, added lots of pictures to Frobenius algebra. Thanks for pointing me to the directions. It was really easy.

This page is getting reasonably nice. I can think of tons more to add, but I should move on!

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorEric

Nice. That is one thing the nLab has really been deficient in so far… pictures.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez

I’ve got a fair number of pictures in This Week’s Finds, though not nearly enough really pretty ones… I grabbed most of those related to Frobenius algebras and put them here. I hereby authorize anyone to do the same: grab pictures from This Week’s Finds and stick them here!

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorKevin Lin
    • (edited Jul 20th 2010)
    Some of the contents of this MO post might be good to transfer over to the nLab page for Frobenius algebra?
    • CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Kevin, if you have the energy, you are invited to add content to the nLab page.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorKevin Lin
    Yes, this was my attempt to get someone else to do it ;)

But yeah, I'll try to get around to it...
    • CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Posting comments that you know of something to nForum will not produce collaborators, but requests :) Colaborators are usually produced in nlab by starting or updating an entry and posting the news of progress, then people peek in and improve.

• CommentRowNumber11.

@ Kevin

All you really have to do is to add this to an appropriate spot on the nLab page (or create a spot for it, perhaps near the bottom):

Some of the contents of this MO post might be good to transfer here.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2011

I have added a Properties section to Frobenius algebra, in part to create links to the notions of quasi-Frobenius algebra and pseudo-Frobenius algebra. There is plenty of scope for expansion, since one can prove lots of nice properties hold for Frobenius algebras.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorjim_stasheff
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2011
    We need a better mnemonic - how can anyone remember which is quasi and which is pseudo and which is weak and...
    • CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2011

Good question. But I have no idea what to do about it, since it’s the established terminology. Just suck it up, I guess. :-)

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2011

Has anyone any ideas how Turaev’s Frobenius crossed GG-algebras and Ralph Kaufmann’s variant of this fits into the overall picture?

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2013
    • (edited Jun 10th 2013)

Somebody writes by email the following about Frobenius algebra. I have no time to look into it right now, maybe somebody who was involved in writing the corresponding part finds a minute:

when discussing the PRO(P)s for various kinds of Frobenius algebras, you have possibly exchanged the roles of Span(FinSet) and Cospan(FinSet) (both symmetric monoidal categories with respect to the coproduct). Indeed, if I understand correctly the reference [Rosenburgh etal. 2005], they prove that Cospan(FinSet) is the PROP for for special commutative Frobenius algebras. (Also, it is not hard to prove direclty that, as a symmetric monoidal category, Cospan(FinSet) is equivalent to the category obtained by quotienting 2Cob by the relation m \circ \delta = id ; but it does not work with Span(FinSet)…)

On the other hand, I can’t quite understand the example of the PROP for bimonoids. (Well, I’m pretty sure now it can’t be Cospan(FinSet)!) Indeed, I would need some more time to understand the reference [Lack 2008], or the reference therein to [Pirashvili, “A PROP to bialgebras”], which seems relevant. But can you confirm to me that (Span(FinSet), \coprod) is the PROP for bialgebras?

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2014

Back then some kind soul provided these cobordism pictures at Frobenius algebra. Is that somebody still around and might easily provide also the picture for the Cardy condition?

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire

Back then some kind soul provided these cobordism pictures at Frobenius algebra. Is that somebody still around and might easily provide also the picture for the Cardy condition?

I assume you mean such things pictures as commutative_law.jpg (IS THERE ANY WAY TO EMBED IMAGES IN THE NFORUM?)

Those pics come from

• John Baez, This Week’s Finds in Mathematical Physics, week268 and week299.

How is what you want different?

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • (edited Nov 18th 2014)

The Cardy condition seems to be in here

Look at 1.14.

So, Urs, see if Aaron has the xypic code still around.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2014

So, Urs, see if Aaron has the xypic code still around.

The xypic code is in the TeX source in the ArXiv.

However John probably just “screen captured” (print screen) from a display of the PDF and used something like MS-Paint to crop down the bitmap and save it as a JPEG. I’d do it for you but I don’t have convenient place to host the image for upload into the nLab.

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2014

Please do! Upload the image to the nLab itself, as described here. Thanks.

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2014
    • (edited Nov 20th 2014)

Ok, I followed the bizarre process for uploading an image (in the Sandbox).

cardy_condition.jpg, screen captured from Lauda & Pfeiffer 2006

cardy

I did this on my machine with Adobe Acrobat at 150% magnification which might give different sized bitmaps on machines with different screens. If you think this image should be a different size, or want more of the related images, Capturing a screen dump is trivial, but you also need something simple like MS-Paint to crop and save the image.

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2014

Thanks! I have included that at Cardy condition.

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2016

We have a stubby page Frobenius monoid that seems to be intended to be about an abstract categorical version of a Frobenius algebra. However, much of the page Frobenius algebra is already written in the generality of an arbitrary monoidal category. So I think we should either get rid of Frobenius monoid and redirect it to Frobenius algebra (and add a bit of discussion), or else try to separate the abstract from the concrete versions. My inclination is the former; any other opinions?

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

I think the first version is probably best.

• CommentRowNumber26.

It looks like this has already been done, but sounds good to me.

• CommentRowNumber27.

Yes, I went ahead and did it, but then got called away before I could announce it. I also incorporated a couple of “TODO”s from the bottom of the page into Frobenius algebra, and started adding a bit about Frobenius monoids in polycategories.

• CommentRowNumber28.

I added a bit more, including a claim that the free polycategory containing a Frobenius algebra is the terminal polycategory.

• CommentRowNumber29.

Oh, hey, that’s pretty neat!

• CommentRowNumber30.

Isn’t it? I’m not sure quite what to make of it.

• CommentRowNumber31.
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2019

Any Frobenius algebra AA has an invariant induced by composing the unit of the multiplication with the counit of the comultiplication, IηAεII \xrightarrow{\eta} A \xrightarrow{\epsilon} I. What is this called? Is it ever interesting?

• CommentRowNumber32.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Some such composition occurs, but unnamed, e.g. Fig. 11 of this.

• CommentRowNumber33.

Thanks! At least they give it a notation, β 1(A)\beta_1(A).

I notice that their definition of “special Frobenius algebra” is different than the one at Frobenius algebra: we require μδ=1\mu\circ\delta = 1, whereas they require that μδ\mu\circ\delta and εη\epsilon\circ\eta are a nonzero multiple (in their \mathbb{C}-linear context) of the identity. I guess the relationship is that in the latter case, one can multiply ε\epsilon by the invertible scalar μδ\mu\circ\delta and divide δ\delta by the same scalar to get another Frobenius structure on the same underlying algebra in which μδ=1\mu\circ\delta = 1 as in our definition, but that still leaves the condition that εη\epsilon\circ\eta is invertible – is that somehow implied by our definition?

• CommentRowNumber34.
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2019

Added a note that the usual two Frobenius laws follow from the single axiom (1μ)(δ1)=(μ1)(1δ)(1 \otimes \mu) \circ (\delta \otimes 1) = (\mu \otimes 1) \circ (1 \otimes \delta).

diff, v40, current

1. Clarified the definition of Frobenius algebras in the category of Vectᴋ by making the non-degenerate pairing more explicit. The previous expression was the map u ↦ ϵ∘μ(1 ⊗ u); however, interpreting the symbols on the right-hand side completely literally in their syntactic form, then by the axioms of a unital associative we have that ϵ(μ(1 ⊗ u)) = ϵ(u) ∈ K. We are trying to have the right-hand side land in V*, which is done by clarifying that the right-hand side should actually be v ↦ ϵ∘μ(v ⊗ u), which is indeed an element of V* and the desired isomorphism of V with V*.

Lillian Ryan Uhl

diff, v42, current

• CommentRowNumber36.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2023

added (here) the example of the Frobenius algebras induced by a linear basis on a vector space, together with some commentary on its role in quantum information theory

diff, v49, current

• CommentRowNumber37.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2023

added a Properties-subsection (here) on “Normal form and ’Spider theorem”“

diff, v53, current

• CommentRowNumber38.
    • CommentAuthorperezl.alonso
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2023
    • (edited Aug 14th 2023)

(followup to #33) What reference are we using in Frobenius algebra for special FA’s? In Definition 2.22.iii of FFRS06 they define a special FA as a FA s.t. μΔ=β Aid A\mu\Delta=\beta_A\text{id}_A and ηε=β 1id 1\eta\epsilon=\beta_1\text{id}_1. In p.5 of Yadav22 they use the same definition for special FA but also state that a FA only satisfying the first condition is a separable Frobenius algebra.

• CommentRowNumber39.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2023
    • (edited Aug 15th 2023)

I have added text (here) to show the slightly different conventions for “special Frobenius” used in the literature.

For what it’s worth, a Google search for

Frobenius algebra "called special"

gives me the top hit, the second & the third all agreeing that the condition is “prodcoprod=idprod \circ coprod = id”, while the FRS definition shows up only in later hits.

In any case, the entry should list all conventions instead of silently picking one — which it does now, but please be invited to add further references etc.

diff, v57, current

• CommentRowNumber40.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2023

I have adjusted the wording in the Idea-section (here) and then considerably expanded (compared to what was there before), adding paragraphs on the two roles that Frobenius algebras play in quantum physics (2d TQFTs and quantum measurement)

diff, v58, current