Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010

Berry’s phase is the stub about one of the most common applications of parallel transport in quantum physics, with its own applications in molecular and atomic physics, quantum computing and so on.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorIan_Durham
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2010

Aharonov and Rohrlich spend a lot of time discussing some of the finer points of Berry’s phase in their book Quantum Paradoxes. It might be worth adding it as a reference (though I disagree with one or two of their intepretational points).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010

go on…

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010

Oops, sorry. I’ve been very busy this week. I will expand on this soon.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010

OK, so the big difference in how I view things compared to how they view things, is that they take the ability to make a continuous measurement as a given. Personally, I believe that what may appear to be continuous macroscopically is not continuous microscopically. I suppose this means I take the Bob Griffiths view (to some extent) that the world is ultimately quantum mechanical and it’s the classical world that is only an approximation.

My idea is a very subtle one and I’m sure I’m going to botch my explanation, but hopefully someone will get what I’m trying to say:

So, in particular, they say (p.168):

We can continuously observe any quantum state. If we continuously observe a decaying atom, it never decays; if we continuously check whether a particle has crossed a barrier, it never crosses. We can make a free particle scatter off a force-free region just by constantly checking whether the particle has entered the region. Indeed, we can induce any evolution we want in a quantum system.

I realize that what they’re trying to get at (I think) is that the act of observation in QM requires an interaction between observer and observed. I don’t deny that. But when you think about the mechanism by which an observer does this interacting on the most fundamental level - an exchange of some boson depending on the type of interaction - either the uncertainty principle limits the observer to a certain level of discreteness or the interaction must involve virtual bosons. As I am unaware of any device that has an unbroken chain of virtual exchanges from the observed quantum process to the observer’s mind, truly continuous observation must not be possible, at least given existing technology. Whether it is fundamentally prevented by QM is an open question. Perhaps things like entanglement are really just strings of virtual processes (which would make it possible for some people to interpret them as violating SR).

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2013

I have added many references before at Berry phase, and now also the reference to an article by Vladimir Arnold.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2019

An interesting lecture notes by Spera. Relevant for this entry: explains the relation between Chern-Bott connection and Berry phase.

diff, v6, current