Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010

tried to polish a little and slightly expand model category, starting with the Definition-section and ending with the (new and tiny) Properties section. Added some more subsections and so on.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2012
    • (edited Mar 21st 2012)

I have added to model category a section Redundancy in the axioms with a statement of the fact that a model structure is determined by its cofibrations and (just) the fibrant objects. Included a pointer to a proof by Joyal.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012

I have now spelled out in the entry the (easy) proof of the above assertion.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2016

I have spelled out the proof that the non-standard definition used in the entry implies that weak equivalences are closed under retracts here. Also added more explicit pointers to Joyal’s text for this statement.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2016

Thanks! This is good to have recorded.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2017

At model category it said

to obtain a quasicategory, given a model category MM, the simplicial nerve N Δ(M cf)N_\Delta(M_{cf}) of the subcategory M cfMM_{cf}\subset M of cofibrant-fibrant objects is a quasicategory.

John Baez pointed out to me by email that this is wrong; we need the homotopy coherent nerve of the simplicial category of fibrant-cofibrant objects (which I presume is what whoever wrote this sentence had in mind). I fixed the page.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2018
    • (edited Dec 5th 2018)

The definition of model category in the page model category doesn’t include the condition that acyclic cofibrations have the left lifting property with respect to fibrations and cofibrations have the left lifting property with respect to acyclic fibrations. Is this right? Later in the article it says

It is clear that:

Remark

Given a model category structure, any two of the three classes of special morphisms (cofibrations, fibrations, weak equivalences) determine the third:

• given WW and CC, we have F=RLP(WC)F = RLP(W \cap C);

• given WW and FF, we have C=LLP(WF)C = LLP(W \cap F);

• given CC and FF, we find WW as the class of morphisms which factor into a morphism in CWC \cap W followed by a morphism in FWF \cap W.

The terms RLP and LLP are not explained.

On a separate note, I’m confused about how the third item above lets us find WW given CC and FF, because it’s circular. Is this item attempting to say that WW is the unique subcategory such that any morphism in that subcategory factors as a morphism in CWC \cap W followed by a morphism in FWF \cap W? Or maybe that given CC and FF there’s a unique model structure for which the weak equivalences have this property?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorRuneHaugseng

The condition that acyclic cofibrations have the left lifting property for fibrations, etc., is packaged up in the definition of “weak factorization system” here (condition 2 in Definition 2.1).

A non-circular way of interpreting the description of WW is to read CWC \cap W here as being defined as acyclic cofibrations, meaning morphisms with the left lifting property for fibrations, which is determined once you specify FF.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez

Okay, I get it. I think this should be explained better.

• CommentRowNumber10.

Feel free to explain it better! (-:

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

where “RLP” appears first, I added this remark:

(Here RLP(S)RLP(S) denotes the class of morphisms with the right lifting property against SS and LLP(S)LLP(S) denotes the class of morphisms with the left lifting property against SS.)

diff, v78, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Dec 5th 2018)

Until somebody has the energy to rewrite this entry into something more inviting, I have added the following line at the beginning of the Definition-section:

The following is a somewhat terse account. For a more detailed exposition see at Introduction to Homotopy Theory the section Abstract homotopy theory.

diff, v78, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorMarc
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2018

Just changed the explanation as suggested in #8

diff, v79, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2020

Added all books that treat model categories at length.

diff, v83, current

• CommentRowNumber15.

Added a coverage table.

Feedback and additions welcome!

diff, v84, current

• CommentRowNumber16.

I would also appreciate additional suggestions for the coverage table. I think it could be a useful resource.

Perhaps it could also be placed (as a template?) in other articles?

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added pointer to premodel category under “Related concepts”

diff, v85, current

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2020

Corrected some history.

Added other weaker notions.

diff, v86, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2020

made the new pointer to “Smith” point to Jeff Smith.

diff, v87, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2020

Have added ISBNs to the books by Hovey and by Hirschhorn

diff, v93, current

1. Added in new reference book “A handbook of model categories” by S. Balchin

Anonymous

diff, v105, current

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2022

Thanks! I had not seen this yet:

Am giving the author a category: people-page…

diff, v107, current

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2023

Renamed the Properties-subsection “Opposite model structure” to “Basic closure properties of class of model categories” (here) and added the examples of product model structure and transfer of model structure along adjoint equivalences of underlying categories.

diff, v116, current