Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010

I wanted to record a result by Max Koecher on cones and Jordan algebras, and I wound up drastically expanding the page

Jordan algebra

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010

I have added a bunch of links

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2013
    • (edited Apr 25th 2013)

I have edited a bit at Jordan algebra:

• moved the in-line references to the References-section and replaced them with corresponding pointers;

• renamed what used be titled “Idea” into “Definition” and instead added an attempt at an actual “Idea”-section.

• split up what used to be the section “Formally real Jordan algebras” into “Formally real Jordan algebras and their origin in quantum physics” and “Classification of formally real Jordan algebras”

• to the new “Formally real Jordan algebras and their origin in quantum physics” I have added remarks on how the symmetrized Jordan product relates to the more famous commutator and how both can be seen to be two pieces of the deformation quantization of a Poisson manifold.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2013

I made the commutator into the usual one (no 1/21/2, requiring a 1/21/2 elsewhere). Although one could have differing conventions, I think that this best fits with the bit on deformation quantization: the Poisson bracket deforms to the commutator without 1/21/2, while the pointwise multiplication deforms to the anticommutator (the Jordan multiplication) with 1/21/2.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2013

sure, thanks.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2013

OTOH, the Lie product in a JLBJLB-algebra uses half the commutator, so I put in a remark about that (including the important link to JLB-algebra!).

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2020

An edit worth reporting rev 43.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2020
    • (edited Jul 3rd 2020)

John Baez has been thinking about the relation between Lie algebras, Jordan algebras and Noether’s theorem in

Since super-Lie algebras are needed in physics, that got me wondering if there are super-Jordan algebras. I see there are one or two mentions, such as

We could also have started from a super Jordan algebra [14,15] instead of a Jordan algebra

in

• Sultan Catto, Yasemin Gürcan, Amish Khalfan and Levent Kurt, Quantum Symmetries: From Clifford and Hurwitz Algebras to M-Theory and Leech Lattices, pdf

and

It is also possible to consider super Jordan algebras for generalized Jordan algebras involving both bosonic and fermionic observables. In this case the automorphism group is a supergroup.

in

• Čestmir Burdik and Sultan Catto, Hurwitz Algebras and the Octonion Algebra, (paper)

There are some older papers, such as

which I can’t access. Seems like a natural idea, no?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2020

Oh, I’m forgetting the commutativity of terms – should be looking for ’Jordan superalgebra’, then there are plenty of hits.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2023
    • (edited Jul 4th 2023)

added links for the original articles:

diff, v48, current