Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorhilbertthm90
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2011

I created Frobenius map, since I had linked to it in several places.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2011

Thanks.

Not directly related to this entry: it is about time that we create a floating TOC for algebraic geometry. I won’t do it. But maybe somebody else feels motivated to start one.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011

Please don’t yet, I still enjoying writing it in clean form.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011

Do floating tocs interfere with your writing?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2011

Once the entry becomes full of contents tables, floating contents and so on, so that one needs to scroll both the view and edit view, the downloading, editing, remembering etc. becomes harder and more unpleasant, specially when on mobile connection. On the other hand, I wrote most of the entries in algebraic geometry and I would find more useful a special page with exhaustive list of algebraic geometry entries (cf. entry topology which I often used for that reason, but in last few months I was not updating) then the very partial, biased and selective floating toc. Finally I could do toc better at a later stage when there will be more entries and I will have more time to do it properly, say some time in late winter.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

one needs to scroll

A floating TOC takes just as much space as the headline, anyway. That’s the whole point of it being floating (and expandable).

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Sep 14th 2011)

Right, floating toc is a far better in that sense than earlier solutions, but still it slows down the download when on slow and unreliable mobile connection, and is usually introduced together with other tocs and whistles affecting edit view or ordinary view or print mode. The content is downloaded regardless you expand it or not in the actual view. It also breaks the paragraph shape what makes it harder to remember. I am a visual type and any graphical rarefying of text makes my control of memory worse. If somebody wants a list of algebraic geometry we can have one link to a list, then it will be downloaded and displayed on the clicking demand. Besides, a random user coming from google to nLab may find her way easier using a separate table with explicit link than with the floating toc device. Most web users use regular links to navigate. As a contributor I would be much happier to create such a page-list than to work on compressed list in a limited format as a ftoc. See topology for an example.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Sep 14th 2011)

I am not suggest forbidding anybody to create ftoc, even if I could. I am just saying that at this point in time I still enjoy creating algebraic geometry circle in more conventional structure of interlinked circle of web pages way. Once it will be more finished, it will get those whistles anyway.