Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2011
    • (edited Jul 17th 2013)

I have split off spin^c from spin^c structure

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2013
    • (edited Jul 17th 2013)

in the section As the homotopy fiber of smooth W3 I have added some more comments and a proposition to make more explicit why the “determinant line” map is given on the canonical U(1)U(1)-components by multiplication by 2.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2020

cross-linked the definition with central product group.

diff, v23, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2020

added the example Spin c(3)U(2) Spin^c(3) \;\simeq\; U(2)

diff, v23, current

1. typo

Anonymous

diff, v26, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2023

Moved exceptional example to under the definition, and hence before all the abstract higher-topos style description. This isomorphism is not mentioned on Wikipedia, and for some reason, when looking for it more widely, it’s not easy to find; I even missed seeing it here in my scrambling around.

diff, v27, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2023

Added mention the exceptional isomorphism covers another one, namely SO(3)PU(2)SO(3) \simeq PU(2).

diff, v27, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2023

Added the exceptional isomorphism Spin c(4)U(2)× U(1)U(2)Spin^c(4)\simeq U(2)\times_{U(1)}U(2), where the fibre product is via the determinant homomorphism on both sides. A bit more minor clarifying details as well in the definition section.

Here’s a question: what should Spin c(2)Spin^c(2) be? The underlying manifold is a 2-torus, but what’s the group structure?

The page currently claims Spin c(n)Spin^c(n) is defined for all natural numbers, but I’m struggling to imagine Spin c(1)Spin^c(1) being useful :-) Is it just isomorphic to U(1)U(1) itself?

diff, v28, current

• CommentRowNumber9.

Reminder to self: add the citation

• Ozbagci, B., Stipsicz, A.I. (2004). Spin cSpin^c Structures on 3- and 4-Manifolds. In: Surgery on Contact 3-Manifolds and Stein Surfaces. Bolyai Society Mathematical Studies, vol 13. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-10167-4_6

for the exceptional examples.

• CommentRowNumber10.

Added the citation as noted, and also the proof of the exceptional isomorphism Spin c(4)U(2)× U(1)U(2)Spin^c(4) \simeq U(2)\times_{U(1)} U(2).

diff, v29, current

• CommentRowNumber11.

Typos

diff, v29, current

• CommentRowNumber12.

Added another exceptional case: Spin c(6)Spin^c(6) is the unique nontrivial double cover of U(4)U(4).

[I’ll leave the identification of Spin c(5)Spin^c(5) to another adventurous soul, or perhaps future me.]

diff, v30, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • (edited Sep 17th 2023)

Hmm, isn’t Spin c(5)Spin^c(5) “just” Sp(2)U(1)Sp(2)\cdot U(1) inside Sp(2).Sp(1)? Probably there’s not much more to say past that ….

EDIT: but maybe? What is the image of Sp(2)×U(1)U(4)Sp(2)\times U(1) \to U(4), where we take the embedding of Sp(2)Sp(2) inside U(4)U(4) and then multiply? Can we see it as the intersection of U(4)U(4) and a subgroup of GL(4,)GL(4,\mathbb{C}) larger than Sp(4,)Sp(4,\mathbb{C})? [Edit of edit: fixed the dimension]

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2023

In discussion with John Baez on Mathstodon, I thought of the following:

@johncarlosbaez OK, how’s this. Consider the 4x4 matrix Omega as at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symplectic_group#Sp(2n,_F), Then define a subgroup G of 4x4 invertible complex matrices M satisfying M^t Omega M = z Omega for some unit complex number z. Then I think U(4) \cap G is double covered by Spin^c(5), as a factorisation of the isomorphism Sp(2)xU(1) = [Sp(4,C) \cap U(4)]xU(1) followed by the multiplication map [Sp(4,C) \cap U(4)]xU(1) -> G \cap U(4). Because M appears twice in the LHS of the equation defining G, I think G\cap U(4) is a little too small, since the condition squares the extra factor coming from U(1)…