Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2011

added brief definition/characterization to Chern class

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2014
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2016

have spelled out a proof here, via induction over the Thom-Gysin sequence, of the basic fact H (BU(n))[c 1,,c n]H^\bullet(B U(n))\simeq \mathbb{Z}[ c_1,\cdots , c_n ]

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2016

I have spelled out the proof of the splitting principle for Chern classes here (modulo the lemma that pullback in cohomology along BU(1) nBU(n)B U(1)^n \to B U(n) is injective).

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2016

The proof that it is injective could go at a page dealing with maximal tori, presumably? Should hold for all BTBGBT \to BG, for reasonable GG

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2016

Do you have a pointer to a proof (in more generality or not)? That argument in Kochmann’s book is a little shaky.

• CommentRowNumber7.

I emailed you, but for others: Johannes Ebert, in this MO answer argues (following Dupont) that H *(BG)H *(BT)H^*(BG) \to H^*(BT) is, under the Chern-Weil isomorphism for compact (connected?) GG, Sym *𝔤 Sym *𝔱 Sym^{\ast} \mathfrak{g}^{\vee} \to Sym^{\ast} \mathfrak{t}^{\vee}, and in fact just multiplication by χ(G/T)\chi(G/T). This Euler characteristic is non-zero by a Lefshetz fixed-point argument involving the action of GG on G/TG/T.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks. Do you have the energy left to make a note about this on some nnLab page? Best place might be splitting principle.

• CommentRowNumber9.

Can do.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2016

I’ve added a little something to splitting principle, more just a record of the argument, with a citation of Dupont.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks! Here is a pointer to the remark that you added.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

In your paragraph I have made “transfer” point to Becker-Gottlieb transfer and changed the pointer Euler characteristic to Euler class.

• CommentRowNumber13.

Hmm, I should point out at Euler class that the Euler characteristic is actually a number, not just a cohomology class.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2016

I have also added proof of the Whitney sum formula for Chern classes, here.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2020

added pointer to

diff, v37, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2020

added pointer to

diff, v38, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2021
    • (edited Feb 4th 2021)

Someone on Twitter was asking about the geometric meaning of Chern classes. I mentioned the nPOV on characteristic classes. Now, I get the idea that unitary group bundles over a space XX are mapped to ordinary cohomology: [X,BU][X,B 2i][X, B U] \mapsto [X, B^{2i} \mathbb{Z}] by cocycle composition. But I hadn’t thought what the latter is qua principal B 2iB^{2i} \mathbb{Z}-bundle.

Is there a geometric picture of this, e.g., in the case i=1i = 1, the B 2B^2 \mathbb{Z}-bundle associated to a circle-bundle via c 1c_1?

I see that in the area of enumerative geometry, I’d need to be thinking about Chow rings

Chern classes are elements of the Chow ring.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Feb 4th 2021)

Maybe it’s not what you are looking for, but Chern classes are basically algebraic/geometrical versions of topological homology classes: i.e. instead of looking at topological subspaces, one looks at (a generalisation of) sub-varieties. This is why Chow groups are closely related to motivic phenomena: in some sense, motives are an attempt to build a ’new geometry’ out of these algebraic analogues of homology classes, or more precisely to obtain/express results which hold in general for them.

One can always ’forget’ some information, and that is how one ends up with cycle maps, i.e. cohomological versions of Chern classes. Thus, for a smooth complex variety, we can ’forget’ the geometry of the ’algebraic/geometrical homology classes’ and just remember their topology, and this gives a cycle map to (topological) singular cohomology. Over a finite field, one uses étale, crystalline, etc cohomology instead. Of course forgetting information often leads to something more computable. One can forget ’a little less’, and one then ends up with cycle maps into things like Deligne cohomology.

In short, though, one is just looking at how a variety can be built up from sub-varieties of it (up to an algebraic analogue of homotopy, namely rational equivalence). Riemann-Roch says that one can equivalently speak of (algebraic) vector bundles.

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Not sure if I understand yet properly what the question is after (is it about finding intuitively accessible geometric representatives of objects classified by the universal Chern classes?), but here are two quick comments:

1. at least the second universal Chern class on BSU(2)BSp(1)B SU(2) \simeq B Sp(1) may be understood as being “like” the first is for complex line bundles, but now for quaternionic line bundles. This is the eventual content of the discussion (or monologue) on quaternionic orientation from complex orientation here.

2. one bit of algebraic topology analogous to Chow groups is (not BUBU but) MU (which is “close”, of course, in a sense), complex cobordism: By the article and its MO commentary briefly recorded there.

1. Yes, complex cobordism is definitely related: from the point of view of my comment, one is still forgetting something, but in a slightly different way. Hence there is for example a ’motivic cobordism theory’ (i.e. a generalised motivic cohomology’) which ’lifts’ the algebro-topological cobordism theory into the motivic world.

2. I can maybe add that the following…

But I hadn’t thought what the latter is qua principal B 2iB^{2i} \mathbb{Z}-bundle.

…is basically the analogue in a algebraic/geometrical setting of finding ’nice’ representatives of a homology class. This is a difficult/interesting problem in general, it is like asking for an analogue of the description of K(,2)K(\mathbb{Z}, 2) as \mathbb{C}\mathbb{P}^{\infty}. This is the kind of thing Urs was getting at in 1. in one case, I think.

• CommentRowNumber22.

Thanks both! Plenty of useful ideas there.

• CommentRowNumber23.

Just as a sanity check, the shift to universal Chern classes on BSU(n)B SU(n) rather than BU(n)B U(n) in #19 point 1 is made because we care about SU(2)SU(2) rather than U(2)U(2), and is just mediated by the inclusion of SU(2)SU(2) into U(2)U(2)?

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, I considered restricting c 2c_2 along SU(2)iU(n)SU(2) \overset{i}{\hookrightarrow} U(n), or rather along BSU(2)BiBU(n)B SU(2) \overset{B i}{\longrightarrow} B U(n) only to make use of the exceptional isomorphism SU(2)Sp(1)SU(2) \simeq Sp(1), since the latter group Sp(1) is for quaternionic line bundles what U(1) is for complex line bundles.

By the way, not to forget that c 2c_2 in general (i.e. without such restrictions) also “is” the universal Chern-Simons circle 3-bundle.

• CommentRowNumber25.

Thanks! And of course instantons make us care about SU(2)SU(2).

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Oh, we care about c 2c_2 on BSU(2)B SU(2) for many reasons, also for chiral perturbation theory and Skyrmions and heterotic line bundles and … all appearing at once in the Hypothesis H M5-brane model (see on the right of the big diagram here).

• CommentRowNumber27.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2021

Added:

• Timothy Hosgood, Chern classes of coherent analytic sheaves: a simplicial approach. Université d’Aix-Marseille (AMU), 2020. tel-02882140.

A MathOverflow question discussing references: https://mathoverflow.net/questions/345437/canonical-reference-for-chern-characteristic-classes

diff, v44, current