Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012

created stub for N=2 D=4 super Yang-Mills theory

… for the moment mainly such as to be able to make Coulomb branch and Higgs branch redirect to it, which are needed at symplectic duality

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2013

added a few more comments and pointers to the literature to N=2 D=4 super Yang-Mills theory on the construction of this theory by KK-compactification of the 6d theory on the M5-brane on a Riemann surface.

(prompted by this MO question which unfortunately was put “on hold” before I could get to it…)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Urs, if you know what Irina was trying to ask and can put it in standard mathematical language, I’d be happy to edit the question to get it “off hold”.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 28th 2013)

Hi Todd,

ah, I see, didn’t know that you have the power to do this.

This here is what Irina is trying to ask (in my paraphrase, of course :-):

There is a famous construction of (N=2)(N=2)-supersymmetric 4-dimensional Yang-Mills field theories and their Seiberg-Witten theory from the N=(2,0)N=(2,0)-superconformal 6-dimensional field theory on the worldvolume of M5-branes: by Kaluza-Klein-compactifying the latter on a Riemann surface. This construction was revived more recently in 2009 by the influential article

On page 22 of this article, around the displayed formula (2.27), the author mentions that the Kaluza-Klein compactification of the 6d theory on a Riemann surface involves a “well known twisting procedure” of the holonomy of the Riemann surface by choosing an SO(2)SO(2)-subgroup of the SO(5)SO(5) group that is the “R-symmetry” group of the 6-dimensional supersymmetric field theory (the group under which its supercharges transform).

My question is: what is this “well known twisting procedure” exactly, and how does it work? Of course I know how to find SO(2)SO(2)-subgroups of SO(5)SO(5), but what does such a choice amount to in the context of the construction of an N=2N=2, D=4D=4 SYM from the 6d-field theory on the 5-brane?

I think that’s the question. And the first approximation to an answer is probably simply this:

The twisting procedure referred to in that article was introduced and described earlier in section 3.2.1 of

(though one might say that it is not really pedagogically explained much there, either…)

These and other basics of the modern understanding of Seiberg-Witten theory from compactification of 5-branes can be found briefly surveyed in section 7 of the lecture notes

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2013
    • CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2013

I have now posted a reply to the MO-thread here

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2018

Thought I’d separate Higgs branch from Coulomb branch. I hope I haven’t said anything wrong.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Feb 19th 2018)

Thanks. I have added some missing hyperlinks. We should now complement the information in the two entries, currently either contains some points that concern both but are not stated in the other entry.

• CommentRowNumber9.

There must be 100s of things to add. I’ll add one which suggest some interesting duality:

• Ben Webster, Koszul duality between Higgs and Coulomb categories 𝒪\mathcal{O}, ( arXiv:1611.06541)
    • CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2018

I meant just the little general information that the entries give should be the same for them. I have complemented it, now it reads for both as follows:

For N=2 D=4 super Yang-Mills theory the moduli space of vacuum expectation values (VEVs) of the theory is locally a Cartesian product between the space of moduli of the vector multiplet (the gauge field sector) and those of the hypermultiplet (the matter field sector). The former is called the Coulomb branch, and the latter the _Higgs branch. These are dual to each other to it under a version of mirror symmetry .

This is the topic of Seiberg-Witten theory.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2018

Since many of the references there mention it, I thought I’d add

Definitions of the Coulomb and Higgs branches have been extended to N=4 D=3 super Yang-Mills theory.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2019
    • (edited Jul 22nd 2019)

renamed entry to match more systematic naming convention

diff, v28, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2021
    • (edited Aug 8th 2021)

added pointer to:

diff, v31, current