Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2012

Andrew, any chance of getting the “show real names in comments” feature from Math2.0 ported over here?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2012

Yes.

For those not knowing what Mike’s referring to, here’s the explanation cut-and-pasted from the announcement on Math2.0:

Right, I’ve implemented a “Real Name” feature. It works on an opt-in basis for both the poster and the viewer (and this means, in particular, that only users who are logged in should see the real names). If you go to your account page (click the “Account” tab at the top) and select “Forum Preferences” then you should see two new preferences: “Show real name in comments” and “See real names in comments”. The first controls whether you want your real name shown at the top of your comments. The second controls whether you want to see others real names there. For a real name to be shown on a given comment then the comment author has to have checked the first and you have to have checked the second.

Moreover, if you click on the “Source” link at the top right of a given comment then in the information there you will see the username of the author (linked to their account page).

My thinking behind this was to make it hard for someone to mimic someone else (who already has an account on the forum) simply by changing their real name to that name. The source link makes it really easy to verify the username of the poster, even without leaving the page. Moreover, as a comment author you can’t guarantee that the reader is seeing your given real name since the reader may have chosen not to use that facility. On the other hand, the comment author has to give permission for people to see their real name so there’s no loss of confidentiality.

The defaults are to see real names in comments but not to show your own. This seemed the right default.

I’ll wait a couple of days to see if anyone has any objections. As it’s an opt-in (on both counts), I don’t anticipate any issues, but I’m always aware that I won’t have thought of everything.