Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009

added to combinatorial model category a reference (here) discussing that using a funny set-theoretic assumption about large cardinals, every cofibrantly generated mod cat is Quillen equivalent to a combinatorial one.

Weird that set-theory...

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009

polished a bit and then created a separate section for Jeff Smith's theorem.

wanted to spell out the full proof there, but not yet

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009

added to combinatorial model category the statement and detailed proof (here) that in a combinatorial model cat a kappa-filtered colimit over a sufficiently large kappa is already a homotopy colimit.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009
    • (edited Nov 25th 2009)
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009

am pleased to be able to say that I typed into the entry combinatorial model category now the complete and detailed proof of Smith's theorem.

Well, there is one point that might need attention: in the first part of the proof, where one shows that these diagrams may be factored, somehow the argument the way I present it looks (while being close) a bit simpler than what I see in the literature. I expect, however, that this is only because I am missing some subtlety. But I leave it the way it is for the moment.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2010
    • (edited Apr 15th 2010)

edited the list of basic examples slightly. Added the model structure for Cartesian fibrations as the sSet QuillensSet_{Quillen}-enriched replacement of the Joyal model structure

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2010

I started adding details on the proof of Dugger’s theorem

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012
    • (edited Apr 2nd 2012)

I have added to combinatorial model category, right after the proof of Smith’s theorem, two basic statemens useful for applying the theorem in the first place (that accessible full preimages of accessible full subcategories are accessible, and that the weak equivalences in a combinatorial model category form an accessibly included accessible full subcategory of the arrow category).

Also I have tried to stream-line the typesetting of the pointers to the references a bit more.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2014
    • (edited Mar 9th 2014)

In combinatorial model category the line

This are corollaries 2.7 and 2..8 in Bar.

has a dead link. The reference to Barwick further down the page does not seem to correspond and Barwick’s homepage does not seem to have an article of that name. Does anyone have a live link for this?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorTim Campion
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2016

The paragraph about Dugger’s Theorem under Characterization Theorems just said that all combinatorial simplicial model categories have presentations. Looking at Dugger’s paper, he actually shows that all combinatorial model categories have presentations. He gives a separate, easier proof in the simplicial case, though. I edited to reflect this.

1. Proof of Smith’s theorem: correct the argument for the solution set condition. 1. Adjust choice of J such that it contains the P->R constructed through factorization. 2. Clarify that only morphisms I->W are claimed to factor through W_0. Adjust W_0 to ensure this. 3. Factor P->Q instead of L+P->Q.

Gábor Braun

diff, v59, current

2. Proof of Smith’s theorem: simplify last argument, avoiding the need of functorial factorizations.

Gábor Braun

diff, v59, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2019

Added redirects for Smith recognition theorem.

diff, v64, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2021

added pointer to:

diff, v69, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2021

added this pointer:

diff, v69, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2022

Added:

The compactly generated left proper case of Smith’s theorem

In the special case when weak equivalences are closed under filtered colimits and the model structure is left proper, the statement of Smith’s theorem can be simplified.

The following formulation can be found as Proposition A.2.6.15 in Lurie \cite{Lurie}.

\begin{theorem} Suppose CC is a locally presentable category equipped with a class WW of weak equivalences that turn it into a relative category and a set II of generating cofibrations. If the following conditions are satisfied, then CC admits a left proper model structure with II as the set of generating cofibrations:

diff, v73, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2022

Corrected the reference for the Smith recognition theorem.

diff, v74, current

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2022
    • (edited Aug 9th 2022)

[ sorry, wrong thread – removed ]

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2022

I have moved up Dugger 2001 in the list of references, and adjusted the wording around it, in order to clarify that, apart from giving “Dugger’s theorem”, this article is (in its Section 2) an early explicit account of the notion of combinatorial model categories

diff, v75, current