Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2012
    • (edited Sep 18th 2012)

following public demand, I added to tensor product of chain complexes a detailed elementary discussion of the tensor product I I I_\bullet \otimes I_\bullet of the (normalized) chain interval with itself, and how it gives chains on the cellular square: in Square as tensor product of interval with itself.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2020

Copied a MathOverflow answer about tensor products as Day convolutions.

Unable to make the \begin{cases} … \end{cases} work. \array and \begin{aligned} do not work either.

The error messages are meaningless, I am giving up after several attempts.

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber3.

Trying to resolve a problem with mysteriously disappearing text after a displayed formula $$ … $$.

Appears to be a parser bug.

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

If you give me a pointer to the code on MO, I’ll try to convert it.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited May 4th 2020)

The MathOverflow code is this one:

$$P(i,j;k) = \begin{cases} \mathbb{Z} & \mathrm{if\,\,} i+j=k, \\
    \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z} & \mathrm{if\,\,} i+j=k+1, \\
    \mathbb{Z} & \mathrm{if\,\,} i+j=k+2, \\
    0 & \mathrm{else}.
    \end{cases}$$

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited May 4th 2020)

Hi Dmitri, I am not sure what you were attempting, but I have modified the entry now to use more or less exactly this code, and it works fine. Double dollars should have a blank line before and after; maybe that was the cause of the problems you ran into. Itex2MML didn’t seem to like the \, inside the \mathrm, so I just added some space in a different way.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorjulia9367
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2023

Adds a section about the canonical forgetful functor Ch(I,)Ch(I,-) corresponding to the closed elements of degree 0, not all elements of degree 0.

I was somewhat confused about this and the internal hom as documented here. It was suggested I may edit internal hom of chain complexes to save future people from tripping up the same way I did. I think this part fits better here and I will make another edit about the implications to internal hom of chain complexes there next.

I’m not sure the paragraph describing the canonical forgetful functor really belongs here. I didn’t find a page or mention of it.

diff, v17, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks. Looks good.

I have (here) hyperlinked more of the technical terms

and added a sentence indicating the proof of the proposition.

diff, v18, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

But why are we doing this in tensor production of chain complexes now? I’ll copy this to category of chain complexes.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorjulia9367

Ok. I thought tensor product of chain complexes was the natural place, but maybe that page is more about the construction, with further discussion and properties of the resulting closed structure belonging in category of chain complexes?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

It’s maybe not so important. Whatever works for you.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorjulia9367
    • (edited Jul 5th 2023)

Also, is there a reason this is only defined for 𝒜=RMod\mathcal{A} = R\text{Mod}? If 𝒜\mathcal{A} is a closed AbAb-category with countable coproducts and products and we replace the direct sum in the construction with the coproduct, does something go wrong? Specifically 𝒜\otimes_{\mathcal{A}} will commute with the coproduct, which I think is not clear for the notions at direct sum. Is there just a reference/proof missing or do we need more exactness properties for everything to be well-behaved?

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Oh, I had only replaced “𝒜\mathcal{A}” by “RModR Mod” (if that’s what you are referring to) to make the formula consistent, because you had “RModR Mod” on the right of the map (here). We can replace by 𝒜\mathcal{A}, but then we need to do it consistently throughout.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorjulia9367

I used 𝒜\mathcal{A} with an eye towards rewriting the two articles for a general such category instead of RRMod, and since it was already used elsewhere in the article. But I didn’t want to do that rewrite, because firstly I only feel everything should work out and don’t really have the time to do the calculations right now and second because of the use of the direct sum which was a new notion to me. I thought it should just be the coproduct and am unsure about the relevance of using one of the notions from direct sum instead.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Oh, I see, you are wondering why the entry as a whole declares that 𝒜=RMod\mathcal{A} = R Mod. For no reason, I suppose. Looks like I made that move 11 years ago in revision 3, but we can change this.

In general, this entry could do with a thorough polishing/expansion/rewrite.

Regarding the direct sum: Yes, it’s just the finite coproduct for 𝒜\mathcal{A} any additive category.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorjulia9367

Yes, exactly, that’s what I was wondering. If I find some time I’ll edit the article.

Re direct product: Makes sense, that it would agree with the finite biproducts of additive categories. I thought a bit more about relating these to the coproducts and made a comment about my findings in the discussion of direct sum. Still this leaves the infinite case open which is relevant to unbounded chain complexes. But I think in this case what we want is the coproduct, not the direct sum. Otherwise defining the differential seems problematic and we do not get the direct sum commuting with the tensor product of the base category for free.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2023

Are you referring to the definition here?

Yes, that “direct sum” is the coproduct, I have added a parenthesis making this explicit.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorjulia9367
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2023

Yes, exactly, thank you.

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2023
    • CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2023

Added:

diff, v22, current

1. Fixed typo so that upper arrow in tensor square diagram has correct labeling

MichaelDeBellevue

diff, v24, current