Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2012
    • (edited Oct 2nd 2012)

I have tried to brush-up existential quantifier a little more. But not really happy with it yet.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2023

added link to being.

Also, existence redirects to this article, but the Wikipedia article on existence says that “existence” in the field of ontology is a synonym of being. Maybe existence should be redirected to being instead of this article.

diff, v23, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

I doubt there’ll be many links “existence”. (Strangely a search with double brackets yielded every page.) But I agree it may as well be a redirect for being.

Some connection to this page goes via Quine’s idea that “To be is to be a value of a bound variable”. Then one locates one’s “ontological commitments” by expressing the best theories of the world in predicate logic and reading off the kinds of thing quantified over.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Feb 8th 2023)

If you want to be more ambitious in relating these entries, one could expand along the lines that

D=[D] 1* \exists D \;\;\;\;\; = \;\;\;\;\; [D]_{-1} \,\simeq\, \ast

to be pronounced: “For a d:Dd \colon D to exist means for the class of all d:Dd \colon D to be.”

or with more detail: “Asserting the existence of d:Dd \colon D is to assert that the class of all d:Dd \colon D is being-modal.”

1. Added the definition of existential quantifier which uses the type of propositions to the type theory subsection of the definitions.

diff, v24, current