Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2012
    • (edited Oct 3rd 2012)

quick entry for pullback of differential forms, to be further expanded

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Oct 3rd 2012)

I think there is an axiomatics where you fix what happens for functions (0-forms) and then you require that the general case of pullback commutes with the exterior differentiation of differential forms. There is a unique (linear over ground field) operation satisfying the two axioms, I think.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, sure, this is part of the statement of the Properties-section.

But I wanted an elementary statement of the pullback the way I did it which makes sense before the de Rham differential is even introduced. That’s how the development at geometry of physics proceeds.

Of course one could decide to proceed differently.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2022

Why does pullback of functions redirect here, rather than to the main article pullback? In set theory the pullback of functions f:ACf:A \to C and g:BCg:B \to C is the solution set {(x,y)A×B|f(x)=g(y)}\{(x, y) \in A \times B \vert f(x) = g(y)\}.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2022

there is also the type theory definition of pullback of functions at pullback