Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2012

a little remark at nonabelian Stokes theorem, still to be expanded

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Oct 26th 2012)

Maybe some basic references would be helpful for orientation. I knew of some references about some generalizations of Stokes to some nonabelian setups, but I am not sure how many of them where indeed about what is described in this entry, i.e. the case of Lie algebras and parallel transport (at least one or two were about that case, this I remember).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 26th 2012)

Okay, I have added a pointer to

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2012

I made a minor formatting change to the sidebar. I noticed when I was revising geometry pf physics that the Contexts would display all listed contexts together when you hover over it. I thought it would be better to display only the specific item you hovered over. Now, the “Differential geometry” and “\infty-Lie theory” can display independently. This is a change I also made to geometry of physics that was lost when my changes were rolled back.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • (edited Oct 28th 2012)

Is there a higher version of Stokes theorem involving higher parallel transport? I mean something that might relate (n+1)(n+1)-transport to nn-transport on a boundary for 0nD10\le n\le D-1. Something like that…

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • (edited Oct 28th 2012)

Never mind.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2012
    • (edited Oct 29th 2012)

I made a minor formatting change to the sidebar. I noticed when I was revising geometry pf physics that the Contexts would display all listed contexts together when you hover over it. I thought it would be better to display only the specific item you hovered over.

Ah, thanks, that’s indeed better. I should remember to use this code next time.

Is there a higher version of Stokes theorem involving higher parallel transport?

Yes, there are higher analogs in arbitrary degree. As I briefly indicate in the entry, the nonabelian Stokes theorem may be regarded as part of the nn-functoriality of an nn-functor from a path n-groupoid to the delooping smooth n-groupoid of a smooth n-group.

It gets increasingly tedious to write it out explicitly, though. Partial formulas for n=3n = 3 are in the literature. For instance in our appendix we do part of it when we discuss 3-form curvature.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2023

added more references

diff, v5, current