Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2012

I have touched the following entries, trying to interlink them more closely by added sentences with cross-links that indicate how they relate to each other:

Also linked for instance to semicategory from category, etc.

Linked also to Delta space, but the entry doe not exist yet.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2012
    • (edited Nov 23rd 2012)

added to semicategory a little bit of this and that, and in particular a section Relation to categories with some basic remarks.

For the fun of it, I stated a univalence/semi-complete Segal space-style formulation of when a semi-category 𝒞\mathcal{C} is a category: precisely if

Id(𝒞 1) 𝒞 1 s 𝒞 0, \array{ Id(\mathcal{C}_1) &\hookrightarrow& \mathcal{C}_1 \\ & {}_{\mathllap{\simeq}}\searrow & \downarrow^{\mathrlap{s}} \\ && \mathcal{C}_0 } \,,

where Id(𝒞 1)𝒞Id(\mathcal{C}_1) \hookrightarrow \mathcal{C} is the subset of morphisms that are neutral elements in endomorphism semi-monoids.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorFinnLawler

Added a paragraph, while I thought of it, to semicategory on the left and right adjoints to the forgetful functor from Cat; similar paragraph added at semifunctor.

At some point I want to write a page for semiadjunctions, which are adjunctions in the 2-category of categories, semifunctors and (I think) ordinary transformations; they give you things like models for non-extensional lambda-calculus, and possibly things like weak limits. I don’t have the time right now, but maybe putting this here will remind me.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks!! Nice. I wasn’t actually aware of that relation to idempotent completion, I have to admit. Added a brief pointer there back to semicategories.

1. I’ve added what, I think, can be a good starting point to read how I use topologically enriched semicategories (that I call flows) in my work in concurrency theory.

Philippe Gaucher

diff, v23, current

2. I’ve added what, I think, can be a good starting point to read how I use topologically enriched semicategories (that I call flows) in my work in concurrency theory.

Philippe Gaucher

diff, v23, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2020
    • (edited Nov 23rd 2020)

On this page, it says that the right adjoint to U (i.e. the Karoubi envelope) is not a 2-functor, but Theorem 7.3 of Hoofman’s The theory of semi-functors states that it is. There’s no justification on the nLab page: is the statement incorrect, or is there a difference in definitions that I haven’t spotted?

Edit: In Hoofman’s paper, the Karoubi envelope is defined as a 2-functor from the 2-category of categories, semifunctors, and semi-natural transformations, rather than semicategories, which explains the disparity.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorSam Staton
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2021

mention Hayashi’s work on lambda calculus

diff, v27, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2023

Add original reference.

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorGnampfissimo
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2023

For Proposition 3.3 it’s not sufficient in Definition 3.2 for endomorphisms to be neutral elements in their endomorphism semimonoids, they need to be neutral w.r.t. composition with non-endomorphisms as well. A counterexample for Proposition 3.3 in its current form would be the semicategory with two objects A,BA, B, trivial endomorphism monoids, two morphisms f,g:ABf, g: A \to B, and composition defined such that composition of ff or gg with any endomorphism yields ff.

diff, v33, current