Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2012

created black holes in string theory, since somebody asked me: a brief paragraph explaining how the entropy-counting works and some references.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2019

added pointer to today’s

diff, v42, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

What do you make of such papers? I guess one useful role is in ’normalising’ string theoretic research to show it’s done by physicists going about their business, looking for consistency checks, etc. Perhaps this study of the Subjective logic of physicists is useful to counter objections of pie-in-the-sky speculation.

The odd thing is that your modal HoTT approach has presented the extraordinary prospect of M-theory being derivable by some process out of nothing, the kind of picture that a version of philosophy which has gone out of fashion might take delight in. What happened to the speculative philosopher who is enraptured by the current transformations wrought in mathematics and its foundations, and who looks to see its structures realised in the world as an Objective logic?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 9th 2019)

What do you make of such papers?

The bits I have read are just what in more sane communities would have been offered by the authors of the original articles in the first place, namely some discussion of which assumptions are made and how things are thought to hang together, conceptually. I had written a text of this spirit in the nLab entry black holes in string theory a long time back, just much shorter (and maybe that’s what these authors read ;-).

I take it your question is rather what to make of the fact that the hodgepodge network of plausibility arguments and consistency checks which Butterfield et al. faithfully review today is still very much the state of the art of the field. And yeah, that’s something which one would think more people would realize is more of an intriguing open problem than a final answer. In 50 years we will look back to the present era in string theory like the people after Newton looked back to the Natural Philosophy before, I am sure. Maybe that mindful review by Butterfield et. al can help bring that insight about. But I am not holding my breath. (Instead I am frantically typing some articles… :-)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2019

added pointer to

diff, v46, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2019

added pointer to

• Sunjin Choi, Joonho Kim, Seok Kim, June Nahmgoong, Large AdS black holes from QFT (arxiv:1810.12067)

diff, v46, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2019

added pointer to today’s

diff, v47, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2019

completed publication data for the original articles:

diff, v49, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2019

added pointer to today’s

• Behnam Pourhassan, Mubasher Jamil, Mir Faizal, Black Remnants from T-Duality (arXiv:1912.09235)

diff, v50, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2023

added pointer to today’s

diff, v56, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2023

added pointer to today’s

• Nejc Čeplak, Roberto Emparan, Andrea Puhm, Marija Tomašević, The correspondence between rotating black holes and fundamental strings [arXiv:2307.03573]

diff, v57, current