Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2012

added to G2 the definition of G 2G_2 as the subgroup of GL(7)GL(7) that preserves the associative 3-form.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2016
    • (edited Jan 20th 2016)

Added (here) the characterization of the subgroups of G 2=Aut(𝕆)G_2 = Aut(\mathbb{O}) that stabilize and that fix, respectively, the quaternions 𝕆\mathbb{H} \hookrightarrow\mathbb{O}:

1 = 1 Fix G 2() SU(2) Stab G 2() = Stab G 2() Aut() SO(3) 1 = 1 \array{ 1 &=& 1 \\ \downarrow && \downarrow \\ Fix_{G_2}(\mathbb{H}) & \simeq & SU(2) \\ \downarrow && \downarrow \\ Stab_{G_2}(\mathbb{H}) &= & Stab_{G_2}(\mathbb{H}) \\ \downarrow && \downarrow \\ Aut(\mathbb{H}) &\simeq& SO(3) \\ \downarrow && \downarrow \\ 1 &=& 1 }
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

I was wondering if your middle group had another name. Is this saying it is SO(4)SO(4)?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 20th 2016)

Yes, true. Thanks. The source which I had cited also said this, but I forgot to include it. Done now.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Added the argument (here) that dim(G 2)=14dim(G_2) = 14 and the argument (here) that Fix G 2()SU(2)Fix_{G_2}(\mathbb{H}) \simeq SU(2), both using the statement that “octonionic basic triples” form a torsor over G 2G_2, taken from Baez, 4.1.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2017
    • (edited Oct 30th 2017)

I added the reference to Basak17, which builds the root space decomposition of the Lie algebra of G 2G_2 from a nice description of the octonions

Tathagata Basak, Root space decomposition of 𝔤 2\mathfrak{g}_2 from octonions, arXiv:1708.02367

1. Even a simple dimension count reveals that it cannot possible be the six-sphere.

Anonymous

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2019

14-8=6

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2019

I have reverted the edit in revision 31 by “Anonymous” above and put in a link to G2/SU(3) is the 6-sphere

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2019

Under Orientation, did you mean to write SO(7)SO(7) instead of SL(7)SL(7)?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2019

Thanks, fixed now.

(Pointer to a reference is missing here, but I don’t have time for it right now.)

diff, v33, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorperezl.alonso
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2024

pointer to

• Guillermo Moreno. The zero divisors of the Cayley-Dickson algebras over the real numbers. (1997) (arXiv:q-alg/9710013)

where it is shown that the group of zero-divisors of the sedenions is isomorphic to G 2G_2.

diff, v38, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorperezl.alonso
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2024

By the way, has the observation in Relation to higher prequantum geometry been used anywhere?

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2024

No, I am not aware that this point of view has been used anywhere.