Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2013

I had started to expand Eilenberg-Watts theorem a little. Stated it in more modern form as an equivalence of categories. Also started adding pointers to Hoyes homotopy-theoretical versions, but then I ran out of steam for the moment. I should come back to this later.

Is there more than Hovey’s article on the higher-algebra/homotopy-theoretic versions?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2013
    • (edited Feb 4th 2013)

I see that the first half of Eilenberg-Watts in \infty-category theory is in Higher Algebra cor. 4.3.5.15 (now recorded in the entry here).

I wouldn’t be surprised if the second half/converse statement is also hidden there somewhere, but so far I don’t see it…

1. Fixed link to Hovey’s paper.

diff, v12, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2023

Clarified various ways of stating the hypotheses. I believe the Eilenberg-Watts theorem requires the hypothesis of additivity. (E.g. Eilenberg states it that way.)

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez

Sketched out some remarks indicating how the Eilenberg-Watts theorem is a special case of a result on enriched profunctors. It would be great to have a reference for this result!

diff, v15, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

Is Profunctors, open maps and bisimulation (Cattani and Winskel, Mathematical Structures in Computer Science, 2005) of use.? This paper is mentioned on the [nLab page], see also [here].

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor

Re. #6: that reference is also the one that came to mind for me, but they don’t prove the enriched version. I don’t know a reference for the enriched version, but it follows straightforwardly from the theory of 2-monads, since V-Prof is* the Kleisli bicategory of the free small cocompletion 2-monad T on V-CAT, whilst V-Cocont is* the restriction of the image of the embedding Kl(T) → EM(T), which is essentially fully faithful. (*With the small caveat that we must restrict to small V-categories.)