Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2013

Chevalley’s theorem on constructible sets and elimination of quantifiers. The entries are related ! The interest came partly from teaching some classical algebraic geometry these days. The related entry is also forking, though yet it is not said why; non-forking may be viewed as related to a notion of generic point, generic type (in the sense of model theory).

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Of course they’re related! Taking the image is the same as applying an existential quantifier.

Compare the magnificent theorem of Tarski-Seidenberg, which is more or less the theorem that the theory of the real numbers as ordered field admits elimination of quantifiers and is decidable.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Apr 18th 2013)

I would like to see (I am convinced there are many) a model categorical generalization of the following: look at the notion of the generic point in the sense of Weil of an irreducible affine variety over a field kk. The generic point in the sense of Weil of the variety is point of affine space over the universal domain Ω\Omega (algebraically closed field which is of infinite transcendence over k) with the property that the variety is its locus in the sense of having the same annihilator in k[X 1,,X n]k[X_1,\ldots,X_n]. Now a variety has a generic point xx in the sense of Weil iff k(x)k(x) is a regular field extension of the field xx.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have cross-linked with field extension and fixed the link to “algebraically closed”.