Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2013
    • (edited Jul 17th 2013)

stub for isogeny

1. I found a more conceptual explanation of isogenies and reformulated the entry to include it.

Anonymous

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018

Charles Rezk speaks of isogenies of formal groups in his ICM talk. What’s the story about all the kinds of entity the term applies to?

• CommentRowNumber4.

Hmm, that modification announced in #2 hasn’t helped, has it?

What Urs has in v2 was fine. An elliptic curve is just a kind of algebraic group. The definition of isogeny as a surjection with finite kernel applies to the larger notion.

2. Author of the modification speaking. I just felt that "surjection with finite kernel" was not a conceptually satisfying notion. Why would that be a good equivalence relation? "Rational group homomorphism" on the other hand makes sense and it is well-understood why rational equivalence is important. The two notions are equivalent for abelian varieties, which is the most important case, and I don't think isogenies are of much use outside of that. But I'll rewrite it to derive the second notion from the first.
  3. This better?

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited Oct 3rd 2018)

That’s looking good. Thanks!