Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009

I've started a page an elementary treatment of Hilbert spaces. The intention is to see how much of (simple) Hilbert space theory can be done without using the phrases "As a Hilbert space is a normed vector space ..." or "As a Hilbert space is a metric space ...".

I haven't gotten very far yet, as can be seen! Also, it's not intended to be Deep Mathematics (there's a mild centipedal justification on the page) but just playing with some ideas and trying to see what a Hilbert space really is.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I slightly Lab-elved the page, editing the toc and insering some links

• CommentRowNumber3.

Thanks!

I should have said: I hope that this is okay for the n-lab.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    This comment is invalid XHTML+MathML+SVG; displaying source. <div> <blockquote> I hope that this is okay for the n-lab. </blockquote> <p>Most certainly. Why are you worried?</p> </div>
    • CommentRowNumber5.

It didn't have an 'n' in it!

I wasn't particularly worried, otherwise I would have asked before I started writing, but I suffer from the British disease of always worrying that I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Well, I think thi stuff is very good. It doesn't need to have an n in it to be part of the nLab.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

Yeah, you just have to accept that we'll start remarking on what strength of logic your elementary treatment requires and which categories it can be internalised in, stuff like that.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009

@Toby, go ahead!

Seriously, so long as it's clear which bits are meant as the "elementary" bits and which are commentary, then I would welcome such. As you can see, I'm putting in remarks linking the elementary treatment to the standard treatment. In case it's not clear, the idea of such an elementary treatment is that it be a gateway to the more developed theory but one that is, perhaps, simpler to reach. Without the commentary there wouldn't be any indication of where someone could go once they'd gotten through the gateway. So I see remarks like that as sort of "If you liked this bit, you'll also like ...".

1. A Hilbert space can be seen as a member of a hierarchy of structures that start very simple and extend with simple additions into more complicated levels of the target structure. The extensions are quite comprehensible, but mathematics imposes severe restrictions to the extension, such that the higher level structure evolves in a particular direction. The hierarchy currently exists of a Hilbert lattice. a Hilbert space and a Hilbert repository. The first two already occur in nlab. A Hilbert repository is a system of quaternionic Hilbert spaces that all share the same underlying vector space. A huge number of separable Hilbert spaces are member of the Hilbert repository. One of them is infinite dimensional and acts as a background platform. It owns a unique non-separable companion Hilbert space that embeds its separable partner. This system of Hilbert spaces forms a huge archive that can easily cope with everything that exists in physical reality. It can act as a very powerful theory development platform for models of physical reality. The Hilbert repository is treated in https://www.researchgate.net/publication/339744488_Representing_basic_physical_fields_by_quaternionic_fields The restrictions seem to explain the shortlist of elementary particles that are exposed in the Standard Model.