Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009
    • (edited Dec 17th 2009)

I worked on polishing

Towards Higher Categories

on John Baez's web. I

• added hyperlinks to all the names appearing

• turned the remaining "infininty"s to "oo"s

I was almost done when the Lab broke down, though, it seems. Currently the server does not respond.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

In the process I also created some stubs for people.

I used to know Julie Bergner as Julie Bergner, but now I noticed that in her contribution she is listed as Julia Bergner. So I made Julia Bergner redirect to Julie Bergner. I hope I am not mixing things up!

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Incidentally, the link to Towards Higher Categories (baez) is to the save protocol and so if you click on it then you will be attempting to save a new copy of the page. Fortunately, the system is intelligent enough to realise that you didn't mean to do that and will merely complain at you. Wikilinks here work as closely to the system on the n-lab as I could make it, meaning that links to other webs are possible with the same syntax. So surrounding baez:Towards Higher Categories with double brackets produces the correct link: Towards Higher Categories (baez)

• CommentRowNumber4.

Ah, except that it doesn't because the system here doesn't know about the difference between public and published webs so it requests the 'show' when it should request 'published'. That would be tricky to fix from this end - it would require programming into the system knowledge of which webs were public and which open - and questionable as to whether or not it's worth fixing at the Instiki end, or exactly how one would do that. Ah well.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited Dec 21st 2009)

Nope! My mistake again! The correct link should be:

Towards Higher Categories (johnbaez)

I got confused between the two webs that John has.

(Incidentally, the server seemed to fix itself without human intervention. I'm not really sure what caused the failure to respond - there's nothing obvious in the logs. Please, everyone, post here when the server does appear to freeze: log time and what you were doing (relevant information only!)).

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    This comment is invalid XHTML+MathML+SVG; displaying source. <div> <blockquote> Incidentally, the link to Towards Higher Categories is to the save protocol </blockquote> <p>Ah, thanks for catching that. Is fixed now.</p> <p>Yeah, I seemed to remember that wikilinks to other webs don't work here, so I put in the URL by hand (and then screwed up....)</p> </div>
    • CommentRowNumber7.

Yeah, I seemed to remember that wikilinks to other webs don't work here, so I put in the URL by hand (and then screwed up....)

The conclusion of all my messing around up there was that they do work providing the web is public (i.e. open to anyone to edit).

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2009

They just don't print the johnbaez: part, so you might get confused about what they do; but they do it.

• CommentRowNumber9.

Do you think that they should print that? Easy to do if so. Perhaps the format should be "Page Name (web name)" with nothing if on the n-lab (since everyone would assume that).

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

Within the Lab itself, Instiki prints that, so it should be familiar.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2009

The web name is now displayed in parentheses when it is specified. So an ordinary link to an nlab page doesn't produce anything, but you can force it by prefixing with 'nlab:'. Also, if you specify alternate text then that gets used instead. So (just imagine the double square brackets, I can't be bothered to look up the SGML codes to put them in by hand):

Remember that you can also use this for google and wikipedia. If there are other sites that would be useful (ncafe?) then it can be easily extended to cover them.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Just a test to see if I understand what's going on:

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Neat!

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2020
    • (edited Sep 3rd 2020)

I was just going to add publication data to Towards Higher Categories

but something strange is going on with this entry, and I don’t dare to touch it now:

When I open the entry, it display with loads of content: Table of contents, preface from the book and list of references.

But when I look at the source code, it has just four lines, essentially only the book title.

When I go to the page history it’s even weirder:

The last edit (from Sept. 6 2011) shows the full content under “Current’ but shows the minimal content under “diff”.

Anyways, probably with a bit of fiddling one can bring forward most of the content from an earlier rev (where the full sources do seem to be present). I don’t have time to deal with this now, but maybe somebody else here has.

1. I’ll take a look at this. If nobody could please edit in the meantime, that would be great.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2020

I see the problem, but have to dash. Will explain and fix later. The short answer is that the source of the page is correct. Please nobody edit until I comment again here :-).

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2020
    • (edited Sep 7th 2020)

I have now fixed this. In short, this page is these days mostly just a link to a corresponding page on John Baez’s personal web. At one point in time, the content of the latter was hosted on this, the main nLab page, but it was moved some years ago.

What had happened with regard to #14, it seems, was that the content of the page, or some historical version of it, on John Baez’s web was incorrectly being shown on the main nLab, whereas the source of the main nLab page was correctly being shown in the edit panel, etc. My guess was that this goes back to some now-fixed bug when the ’new’ renderer was introduced a few years ago, because after I now cleared things, everything seems to work correctly; editing both the main nLab page and the page on John Baez’s web only affects each one in the correct way.

(PS: The previous post was written by me as well.)