Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2013

At what point in physics does it matter that I consider the groupoid

Riem(Σ)//Diff(Σ) \mathbf{Riem}(\Sigma)//\mathbf{Diff}(\Sigma)

rather than the set

Riem(Σ)/Diff(Σ)? \mathbf{Riem}(\Sigma)/\mathbf{Diff}(\Sigma)?

At general covariance it says the latter is sufficient

to perform variational calculus and hence derive the equations of motion of the theory.

So what does the groupoid add?

Is there an issue of being able to reconstruct Σ\Sigma in each case?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Nov 11th 2013)

Good question. One main answer is:

passing from homotopy quotients to naive quotients destroys locality in field theory, as in “local field theory

This is just the main property of stacks translated to moduli stacks of physical fields: if one forgets the (auto-)gauge transformations, then it is impossible, in general, to reconstruct global field configurations from local ones.

This is a point that needs to be emphasized more. These days in the blogosphere one sees that the meme is spreading among supposedly big-shot theoretical physicists that “gauge invariance is just a redundancy” and that one can happily quotient out gauge equivalence. Notably the work by Arkani-Hamed et al on scattering amplitudes has often been accompanied by such statements.

This is true only if one sacrifices locality. But these are the two fundamental principles of modern physics:

1. the gauge principle

2. the principle of locality.

The first implies that the world is described by homotopy theory (\infty-groupoids). The second that it is described in fact by geometric homotopy theory (\infty-stacks). Neither should be thrown out of the window if one is after the full picture.

• CommentRowNumber3.

Thanks! So from dcct this is here:

Another cause is that often the nature of the gauge principle is actively misunderstood: often one sees texts claiming that gauge invariance is just a “redundancy” in the description of a physics, insinuating that one might just as well pass to the set of gauge equivalence classes. And this is not true: passing to gauge equivalence classes leads to violation of the other principle of modern physics, the principle of locality. For reconstructing non-trivial global gauge field configurations (often known as “instantons” in the physics literature) from local data, it is crucial to retain all the information about the gauge equivalences, for it is the way in which these serve to glue local gauge field data to global data that determines the global field content.

And there’s relevant material in 3.6.10.1 and 3.9.14.1.2.

Can we see anything of this reconstructing of non-trivial global gauge field configurations in the baby example I’m working out here, or do we need a more geometric example?

• CommentRowNumber4.

Discussion continues of all these things. It occurred to me to raise the issue of active and passive transformations. Is there a reason why we don’t have anything on this? The Wikipedia entry gives an example where we can see a particular transformation either way.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2013

if one forgets the (auto-)gauge transformations, then it is impossible, in general, to reconstruct global field configurations from local ones.

Does this mean that if a spacetime Σ\Sigma is the union of two others Σ i,i=1,2\Sigma_i, i = 1,2, then from the

[Σ i,Fields]//BAut(Σ i) [\Sigma_i, \mathbf{Fields}]//\mathbf{B} Aut(\Sigma_i)

it is possible to construct

[Σ,Fields]//BAut(Σ)? [\Sigma, \mathbf{Fields}]//\mathbf{B} Aut(\Sigma)?

Perhaps some gluing data needs to be added.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2013

The spacetime example is a subtle one to discuss this point. Let’s first look at an easier one of fields on spacetime.

A gauge field theory assigns to subsets UU of Σ\Sigma the groupoid of GG-gauge fields on Σ\Sigma. This assignment is a stack, and the descent property of this stack says precisely that and how the local field assignsments glue together to give the global field assignsments.

If we 0-truncate this stack by sending each UU to the set of gauge equivalence classes of fields this breaks down.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2013

Back online.

A gauge field theory assigns to subsets UU of Σ\Sigma the groupoid of GG-gauge fields on Σ\Sigma.

You mean

A gauge field theory assigns to subsets UU of Σ\Sigma the groupoid of GG-gauge fields on UU?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2013

Yes, sorry

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2013

Ok good, but still it’s going to be difficult in the general covariant case of #5, isn’t it? I could perhaps see that one could stitch together patches to give diffeomorphisms on the whole of spacetime which are ’close to the identity’, in the sense of leaving the submanifolds invariant.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2017
    • (edited Nov 5th 2017)

Given what you said about redundancy of gauge symmetry in #2 and the quotation in #3, perhaps there’s another case by Witten in Symmetry and Emergence:

The meaning of global symmetries is clear: they act on physical observables. Gauge symmetries are more elusive as they typically do not act on physical observables. Gauge symmetries are redundancies in the mathematical description of a physical system rather than properties of the system itself.

Maybe, though, you could still maintain that they are necessary parts of the description, and not to be factored out. In view of the extraordinary dualities in string theory, isn’t it rather suspect to distinguish what is part of the mathematical description and what is part of the physical system itself?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Nov 5th 2017)

Yeah, I have seen this article, and people have raised that question. What can I say. I suppose we are faced with an informal text that glosses over details.

Gauge symmetries for GG-CS theory on a manifold with boundary leave their imprint on the boundary, giving rise to GG-WZW theory theory. For the WZW theory the GG is manifestly not a redundancy, but its very target space.

Also, I’d need to look up the homotopy groups again, but I suppose for the example that is mentioned in the article, S-duality between SOSO- and SpSp-gauge theory, the instanton sectors H 1(Σ *,BSO)H^1(\Sigma^\ast, B SO) and H 1(Σ *,BSp)H^1(\Sigma^\ast, B Sp) may indeed differ.

So until shown a convincing counter-argument more mathematically detailed than an informal essay, I will maintain that it is wrong to say that “gauge symmetry is just a redundancy”, unless a bunch of simplifying assumptions are made.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Dougherty

For what it’s worth, I think that you can make sense of some of the Witten quote in #10 in a way that’s consistent with the nPOV. Suppose that we read “redundancy” as “identity” (in the HoTT sense) or “equivalence” (in the 1-category sense) and “symmetry” as “observable-preserving bijection”. Then Witten’s claim is that there are sometimes observable-preserving bijections between non-isomorphic configurations in gauge theories. And this is true: for example, in the asymptotically trivial sector of QCD a gauge transformation is only an isomorphism if it can be smoothly extended to the boundary, but it will preserve the classical physical observables regardless of what’s going on at the boundary. It won’t preserve the instanton number, but it’s still a symmetry transformation with respect to the all the observables that were around before moving to the asymptotically trivial sector.

It seems to me that this is a case where the nPOV can be helpful in clearing up a conceptual confusion. (In fact, I have a paper under review at the moment arguing this.) Naively, the configuration space of asymptotically trivial QCD is the subspace of configurations that are asymptotically trivial—the ordinary equalizer. But from the nPOV, we should instead use the homotopy equalizer, and this gives the correct instanton sectors. The isomorphisms in the asymptotically trivial sector are then the isomorphisms of the gauge transformations that smoothly extend to the boundary, not all the gauge transformations. I read claims like Witten’s in #10 as an attempt to articulate the distinction between “isomorphism” in the sense of “observable-preserving bijection” and “isomorphism” in the sense of “equivalence in a 1-category”. In the total configuration space of QCD these coincide, but the homotopy equalizer produces a configuration groupoid in which some observable-preserving bijections aren’t equivalences, because they don’t preserve the boundary.

It’s true that “redundancy” is probably the wrong word for this. In one sense it’s appropriate because gauge-equivalent configurations aren’t distinct, while symmetry-related configurations can be. If you count using ordinary equality, then there are distinct objects representing the same physical state of affairs. But it also suggests that it’s purely a feature of the mathematical representation and that we wouldn’t lose anything physical if we got rid of it, and that’s wrong. So I think this attitude that “gauge = redundancy” isn’t totally right, but it’s a plausible compromise if you don’t use the nPOV resources.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2017

That sounds good! Might you have a preprint of your paper to share?

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Dougherty
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2017

The first draft of it is available here, but I’m in the midst of heavy revisions in light of reviewer feedback at the moment, so there’ll be a better version of the paper available at that link after the 19th.