Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2014

created traced monoidal category with a bare minimum

I would have sworn that we already had an entry on that, but it seems we didn’t. If I somehow missed it , let me know and we need to fix things then.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2014

added a brief paragraph on the relation to compact closed categories:

Given a traced monoidal category 𝒞\mathcal{C}, there is a free construction completion of it to a compact closed category Int(𝒞)Int(\mathcal{C}) (Joyal-Street-Verity 96):

the objects of Int(𝒞)Int(\mathcal{C}) are pairs (A +,A )(A^+, A^-) of objects of 𝒞\mathcal{C}, a morphism (A +,A )(B +,B )(A^+ , A^-) \to (B^+ , B^-) in Int(𝒞)Int(\mathcal{C}) is given by a morphism of the form A +B A B +A^+\otimes B^- \longrightarrow A^- \otimes B^+ in 𝒞\mathcal{C}, and composition of two such morphisms (A +,A )(B +,B )(A^+ , A^-) \to (B^+ , B^-) and (B +,B )(C +,C )(B^+ , B^-) \to (C^+ , C^-) is given by tracing out B +B^+ and B B^- in the evident way.

Copied the same paragraph over to compact closed category.

1. I added a reference to the characterization of traces in cartesian monoidal categories (by Hasegawa and Hyland), and then because this page was still missing a definition I pulled in the definition (for symmetric monoidal categories) from Hasegawa.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2014

Thanks!

2. copied in and adapted definition of the canonical trace on a compact closed category.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2019

Added Plotkin’s observation that not every monoidal category can even be mapped faithfully into a traced monoidal category.

diff, v9, current

3. Provided an example of a monoidal category which does not satisfy cancellation.

Robin Kaarsgaard

diff, v10, current

4. Can’t get the latex to work, reverting change for now.

Robin Kaarsgaard

diff, v10, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorSam Staton
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2022

Added trace in fdvect

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2022

Example of trace of profunctors

diff, v12, current

• CommentRowNumber11.

trace in partial functions

diff, v12, current

• CommentRowNumber12.

Trace in category of pointed cpo’s

diff, v12, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2022

Add the relation to programming to the idea section, and link to a page on fixed point operators (to be made)

diff, v15, current

5. Adding the related notion of “feedback category” (or “category-with-feedback”, or “category with delayed-feedback”) that appears in the work of Katis, Sabadini and Walters.

Mario Román

diff, v16, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorJ-B Vienney
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2023
    • (edited May 28th 2023)

An axiom (sliding) was unclear due to a lack of parentheses.

diff, v18, current