Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2014
    • (edited Feb 20th 2014)

Somebody over lunch at the conference here said that the nn-Lab somewhere leaves out a condition in the definition of n-fold complete Segal spaces, namely “it’s not just completeness, there is also a condition that many spaces are degenerate”.

We were offline and couldn’t quite determine which entry was meant. Now I am online but alone, and I checked at n-fold complete Segal space, which doesn’t really give any definition at all, but points to (infinity,n)-category and n-category object in an (infinity,1)-category. I think (am pretty sure) that there the correct definition is given, but I don’t really have the leisure to check in detail right now.

Instead, I suspect that everything on the nLab is correct but there is just a subtlety that maybe deserves to highligted more, namely for nn-fold Segal spaces the completenss condition automatically involves more and more degeneracy condition due to the way that \infty-groupoids are regarded as degenerate cases of (n1)(n-1)-fold complete Segal spaces.

To hint at that (don’t have time for more right now), I have now added to n-fold complete Segal space the following paragraph:

In analogy of how it works for complete Segal spaces, the completness condition on an nn-fold complete Segal space demands that the (n1)(n-1)-fold complete Segal space in degree zero is (under suitable identifications) the infinity-groupoid which is the core of the (infinity,n)-category which is being presented. Since the embedding of \infty-groupoids into (n1n-1)-fold complete Segal spaces is by adding lots of degeneracies, this means that the completeness condition on an nn-fold complete Segal space involves lots of degeneracy conditions in degree 0.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2019

Egbert added pointer to

• Simona Paoli, Simplicial Methods for Higher Categories – Segal-type Models of Weak nn-Categories, Springer 2019 (doi)

and I tweaked the formatting a little. Will add this to other entries, too

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2022
    • (edited Oct 3rd 2022)

am deleting the following bibitem

and instead moving it to an appropriate entry weakly globular n-fold category, which I will create now (at least a stub for it)

diff, v23, current