Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2015

added references to essentially algebraic theory. Also equipped the text with a few more hyperlinks.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorspitters
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2018

Clarification about partial Horn logic

diff, v18, current

• redirected “Cartesian theory” here
    • added brief definition of cartesian theory.

Steve Vickers

diff, v20, current

1. Added “cartesian logic” as related topic.

“Cartesian theory” really ought to be redirected here, as the notions are equivalent. I am attempting to do that.

Steve Vickers

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2019

Added a comment about Gabriel-Ulmer duality.

diff, v21, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthoratmacen
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2019

In another thread Mike said:

In particular, one selling point of intrinsic syntax seems to be its essentially-algebraic character

I don’t understand the details of the connection between essentially algebraic theories and type systems. Which type systems are essentially algebraic? Is it exactly those with intrinsic syntax? How do I rigorously tell when syntax is “intrinsic”, in an arbitrary metalanguage?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2020

Transferred material from cartesian theory > history.

diff, v22, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthoranuyts
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2021
    • (edited Nov 23rd 2021)
    In the traditional syntactic definition, to me it is not immediately obvious that it is always sufficient to have only equations using total operations, and no clear reference is included. However, I think I have come up with a transformation from EATs that use non-total operations in their equations to systems that do not.

Assume we have an operator
    σ : {x : ∏_i s_i | P(x)}.
    Then we can add a sort P* and a total operation outP* : P* -> ∏_i s_i and include P(outP*(p)) in the equational theory of the system. Then σ can be rewritten as
    σ : {(x, p) : (∏_i s_i) x P* | outP*(p) = x}.
    I guess we also want to express in the equational theory that if p, q : P*, then p = q. We probably also want to make sure that if P(x) then x = outP*(p) for some p, but I do not see how to do that, since P mentions non-total operations.

If this is indeed the idea, then I suggest to include this in the article.
    • CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthoranuyts
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2021
    To answer atmacen 1.5 years post datum: Cartmell shows that EATs and GATs are equivalent. See https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/generalized+algebraic+theory
    If we include simultaneous substitutions as a syntactic sort, then type theories can be formulated as GATs (or perhaps even multisorted ATs in the case of simple type theories).
    • CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthoranuyts
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2023

Cite keml-diagrams.

diff, v24, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2024

Corrected the definition of satisfaction of equations for models of essentially algebraic theories.

diff, v25, current