Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010
    This comment is invalid XML; displaying source. <p>I added three more references to <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Bredon+cohomology">Bredon cohomology</a>.</p> <p>two of them, by H. Honkasolo, discuss a sheaf-cohomology version of Bredon cohomology, realized as the cohomology of a topos built from the <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/orbit+category">orbit category</a>.</p> <p>It's too late for me today now to follow this up in detail, but I thought this might be of interest in the light of our discussion at <a href="http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/Vanilla/nForum/comments.php?DiscussionID=650&page=1">G-equivariant stable homotopy theory</a>.</p>
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Jan 20th 2010)

An advice: It would be good when citing references to really cite them, not only put a blind link to the paper. Especially for offline usage and usage via printouts. I am often doing repairing these blind "citations" and done it this time for the Honkasolo references, but this procedure doubles both the effort, the bandwidth (second person needs also to download the paper to read the reference) and multiplies nlab versions. The link to second Honkasolo reference even frose/killed my browser so I did not succeed to cite it in the first attempt.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

okay.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Jan 20th 2010)

I added the redirect complex cobordism to complex cobordism cohomology theory as one usually just simply says complex cobordism, just like one says complex K-theory for something what pedantically can be called complex K-theory cohomology theory. It seems to me that Honkasolo's references have some overlap with Moerdijk-Svensson approach -- the Grothendieck construction here also plays a role.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014
    • (edited Apr 16th 2014)

I have added an actual Definition-section to Bredon cohomology.

(Of course this overlaps with what ages ago Mike added in the subsection on Bredon cohomology at equivariant cohomology.)

For one I mentioned the chain complex model that Bredon actually wrote down (as opposed to all the high-powered generalizations that now carry his name).

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016

I’m confused by the Definition at Bredon cohomology. What is H\mathbf{H} and what is BG\mathbf{B}G? We appear to be defining “H /BG\mathbf{H}_{/\mathbf{B}G}” to be the (,1)(\infty,1)-topos of GG-spaces, but that notation looks like it is a slice category of something, whereas neither of the definitions given (L fpweGTopL_{fpwe}G Top and PSh (Orb G)PSh_\infty(Orb_G)) are slices.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, that notation is bad, I should change it. How about H orb G\mathbf{H}^{orb_G}?

• CommentRowNumber8.

That’s better, although it looks like a functor category, and if H\mathbf{H} means Gprd\infty Gprd then we ought to say contravariant functors, right?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2016

Right, sure. I have changed the notation in the entry now.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Is there something from Mike’s comments here worth including? It’s in the context of a discussion of homology in enriched categories, which seems to work generally for semicartesian enrichment:

Note that in the case when VV is cartesian monoidal and also extensive with an indecomposable terminal object, we can identify VV-enriched categories with certain VV-internal categories. In that case, this construction amounts to taking the internal nerve Cat(V)V Δ opCat(V) \to V^{\Delta^{op}} and then applying the Yoneda embedding VSet V opV \to Set^{V^{op}} levelwise to get a presheaf of simplicial sets on VV.

In particular, therefore, if VV has a small dense subcategory V 0V_0, we can use the restricted Yoneda embedding VSet V 0 opV \to Set^{V_0^{op}} instead without losing information. This is a fancier way of saying why we see nothing new when V=SetV=Set, because the single object 11 is dense in SetSet, and its restricted Yoneda embedding is the identity.

Another interesting example of this sort is V=GSetV=G Set for a group GG, with V 0V_0 the category of orbits G/HG/H. Thus, a category enriched over GG-sets has a homology indexed by orbits, which I think is just the usual equivariant (Bredon) homology of its GG-equivariant nerve. (Curiously, I don’t think I recall ever seeing the “morphism-graded” version in equivariant homotopy theory. Maybe it’s present implicitly somewhere?)

Is this ’the’ reason why we see Orb GOrb_G?

By the way, presumably the ’org’ is ’orb’, and there should be consistency as to ’orb’ or ’Orb’.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

presumably the ’org’ is ’orb’

Oh, sorry. Fixed now.

• CommentRowNumber12.

I don’t think that’s “the” reason we see Orb GOrb_G, because when V=GSetV = G Set the single object G/eG/e is already dense (since it’s the unique representable when GSetG Set is regarded as a presheaf category. I’ve never really seen a convincing argument for any “the” reason why we see Orb GOrb_G.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2016
    • (edited Aug 20th 2016)

I’ve never really seen a convincing argument for any “the” reason why we see Orb GOrb_G.

Isn’t “the” reason given by the GG-Whitehead theorem + Elmendorf’s theorem ?

1. There is an evident notion of homotopy equivalence between GG-CW-complexes.

2. by the G-Whitehead theorem this is equivalent to maps that are weak homotopy equivalences on all HH-fixed point spaces for all closed subgroups HH;

3. by Elmendorf’s theorem this is equivalent to weak equivalences in the functor category over Orb GOrb_G.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2016

Sort of, but you still have to motivate your particular definition of GG-CW-complex, don’t you?

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2016

Is there any sort of generalisation of Bredon cohomology from action groupoids to more general (nice) groupoids, say locally quotient groupoids? That is, does the abstract infinity-topos viewpoint allow something to be constructed?

Carla Farsi told me that she and some others tried to develop this for proper Lie groupoids more or less by hand (or so I gather) without much success.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2016

Orbifold cohomology is related to Bredon cohomology, see works of Ruan et al.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2020
    • (edited Jun 14th 2020)

added these pointers to discussion of equivalence of Bredon cohomology of topological G-spaces XX to abelian sheaf cohomology of the topological quotient space X/GX/G with coefficients a “locally constant sheaf except for dependence on isotropy groups”:

diff, v30, current

• CommentRowNumber18.

“locally constant sheaf except for dependence on isotropy groups”

so a constructible sheaf?

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Ah, right, thanks. Haven’t thought about this.

• CommentRowNumber20.

Some remarks:

• Segal has a similar sheaf in his equivariant K-theory paper (prop 5.3), but it’s the sheafification of a presheaf defined using K-theory
    • The quotient of a manifold by a proper Lie group action (so with compact stabilisers) is nicely stratified by manifolds, and more generally so is the orbit space of a proper Lie groupoid
    • the constructibility will be with respect to this stratification.
    • CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2020

If you want to go down that road now, allow me remark that, to my mind, the take-away message from traditional orbifold cohomology – references is, in contrast, that none of this business with funny coefficient sheaves on funny quotients is necessary if we’d just work with Bredon cohomology from the get-go. That’s what Honkasalo’s result says. And if we don’t (mis?)use sheaves on funny auxiliary space to encode genuine equivariance, we still have them available to do their real work on the geometrically meaningful spaces: namely to provide enhancement to differential equivariant cohomology.

Of course I don’t know what piques your interest here. If you are just intrigued that Honkasalo’s and maybe Segal’s and other old results might be prettfied by being recast in the language of constructible sheaves then that might be worthwhile. On the other hand, you went to the thread on Bredon cohomology with this comment, so I am not sure what you are after.(?)

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • (edited Jun 15th 2020)

Nothing in particular. I just happened to see the phrase I quoted in #18 in this thread (I haven’t looked at the other recent, related, threads yet), and wanted to point you to what it seemed to be referring. If you aren’t going down that path then it’s just going to be a side comment in the story you are hoping to tell, that’s all. But thanks for clarifying

the take-away message from traditional orbifold cohomology – references is, in contrast, that none of this business with funny coefficient sheaves on funny quotients is necessary if we’d just work with Bredon cohomology from the get-go. That’s what Honkasalo’s result says.

I had seen the ’funny coefficient sheaves’ in something I was thinking about on and off, in a way that seems rather useful, but maybe I should be thinking about Bredon cohomology (or rather genuinely global equivariant cohomology) instead.

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I see. If that subsection on traditional orbifold cohomology does not leave the reader with a deep feeling of dissatisfaction, then I may need to rewrite it ;-)

• CommentRowNumber24.

So here’s the question: what about in the non-global quotient case, as in the second half of my #15 above?

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yeah, that’s what I had sketched out at orbifold cohomology. Polished writeup should be available soon.

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • (edited Jun 15th 2020)

OK, thanks! My interest is more in the/a K-theory version, so that might be something that we can discuss later/elsewhere.

On a separate note, have you recorded a reference to Schwede’s Global homotopy theory course on YouTube anywhere?

• CommentRowNumber27.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

No, I didn’t know that there are such lectures on YouTube.

• CommentRowNumber28.

It’s working from his monograph Global homotopy theory. I will add the lectures there as a reference.

• CommentRowNumber29.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

My interest is more in the/a K-theory version

I should add pointers to traditional orbifold K-theory to the entry traditional orbifold cohomology – references.

Adem-Ruan in “Twisted Orbifold K-Theory” arXiv:math/0107168 don’t really define orbifold K-theory. What they really do is (Def. 3.4) say that on global quotient orbifolds of some XX by some GG it should equal the genuine (Bredon) GG-equivariant K-theory of XX, and then they run with that as a definition in that case.

Then there is the constructions by Bunke-Schick and by Freed et al. Should add commented pointers to these…

• CommentRowNumber30.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2020
    • (edited Oct 1st 2020)

I have added full publication data to

This article stands out in that it admits that Bredon cohomology is equivalently homs into Eilenberg-MacLane GG-spaces.

Is there any other reference that would expand on this? Greenlees-May just state it in passing.

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber31.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2020

ah, never mind, I see that it’s Theorem 2.11 in Bredon 67

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber32.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2020

added pointer to

diff, v35, current

• CommentRowNumber33.