Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2015

Does someone know offhand the relationship between the stabilization hypothesis “for (n,1)(n,1)-categories” attributed to Joyal and Lurie at stabilization hypothesis and the version that appears in arXiv:1312.3178? It would be nice to add a reference to the latter to the page stabilization hypothesis but I’m not sure how to relate it to what’s already there.

1. Here is what I know. The strong form of the stabilization hypothesis states the following: (This is what is proven by Rune and David in the arxiv paper you link to).

Thm: There is an equivalence of homotopy theories between pointed k-trivial (infty, n+k)-categories and E_k-algebras in (infty,n)-categories.

Here we can regard the E_k operad as an operad in (infty, 0)-categories = infty-groupoids.

The inclusion of (n+m, n)-categories into all (infty,n)-categories has a left adjoint which is a kind of truncation functor which I will call T. This functor is product preserving. This implies that an (n+m, n)-category is an E_k-algebra if and only if it is a T(E_k)-algebra. What is this operad T(E_k)? it is precisely the operad whose spaces are the (n+m)-types of the spaces of the E_k-operad. Now the map of operads from E_k to E_{k+1} is an equivalence of (n+m)-types if k is sufficiently large compared to (n+m). I believe this happens when k is at least n+m+2, but it is not hard to work out the precise bounds.

Taking m=0, (and using the strong form of the SH to go back to k-trivial (n+k,n+k)-categories) this implies the usual weaker form of the stabilization hypothesis, which is the one stated on the nlab page.

Letting m vary, but taking n=1 recovers the version attributed to Joyal and Lurie.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2015

Thanks! I’ve added this to stabilization hypothesis and also delooping hypothesis.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2015

I have added pointer to the new Batanin 15