Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorporton
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2015
    • (edited Sep 29th 2015)

The previous discussion was too lengthy. So I start a new thread.

Based on above mentioned Todd Trimbles comments, I have proved (see the draft of volume 2 of my book, chapter 4) that the set of prestaroids between join-semilattices (that is maps inS i2\prod_{i\in n} S_i\rightarrow 2 preserving joins in separate arguments) is order-isomorphic to a set of ideals on a poset.

If you have a little free time, you may check this my proof for errors. (However, it seems OK.)

Now I define more general prestaroids between posets:

Free stars on a poset SS are sets F𝒫SF\in\mathcal{P}S such that to F𝒫SF\ne\mathcal{P}S and A,BF¯ZF¯:(ZAZB)A,B\in\overline{F}\Leftrightarrow\exists Z\in\overline{F}:(Z\ge A\wedge Z\ge B).

Equivalently, free stars are sets F𝒫SF\in\mathcal{P}S such that F𝒫SF\neq\mathcal{P}S and ZS:(ZAZBZF)AFBF\forall Z\in S:(Z\ge A\wedge Z\ge B\Rightarrow Z\in F)\Leftrightarrow A\in F\vee B\in F for every A,BSA,B\in S.

For arbitrary (possibly infinite) index set nn a prestaroid of arity nn is a subset of inS i\prod_{i\in n} S_i such that, if we fix all but one argument, the allowed values for the non-fixed argument is a free star.

Conjecture The set of prestaroids between any posets is isomorphic to the sets of ideals on a poset.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2015
    • (edited Sep 29th 2015)

Dear Victor Porton,

it seems quite unlikely to me that you will find here, or elsewhere, a correspondent that could be more valuable to your cause than Todd Trimble. The feedback that he provided in the thread that you seem to be abandoning hereby was of exceptional quality, especially regarding the subject and the methods that you are interested in. The insight that Todd had provided in that thread was very worthwhile all in itself, and it seems hard to imagine that you could hope to get anything close to that by restarting to fish for comments here. I don’t see how it could be wise for you not to try what you can to continue the conversation with Todd. Maybe it’s too late anyway, of course, but since you are opening up this new thread here for what seems to me to be no good reason, I thought I’d make that comment.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2015

Also, might I add a general comment about research: you asked a question, and you got an interesting answer. It turned out that you had a slightly different question in mind, so you ignored the answer. Successful and interesting research doesn’t ignore such leads. You had a chance to a) learn something that would be useful (the theory of symmetric monoidal closed categories, and in particular one related to your work) and b) find a connection between your work and something other people are interested in, and you just dropped Todd after he spent the effort writing what would be an excellent seminar or two at the graduate student level.

I, like Urs, doubt that someone else will jump in and answer your questions given how you responded to Todd’s help. Please reconsider your use of the nforum as a fishing ground for help to prove results: it is your research after all, not ours.

I wish you all the best with finding non-trivial examples for your theory. I mean this sincerely: it’s taken me ten years, on and off, to get to a point where I can find the constructions I wanted to do for my PhD thesis.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorporton
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2015

David,

I’ve formulated my question more or less correctly: I have asked whether my Strd(,)Strd(-,-) is a tensor product of posets (replacement of my question with whether it is a tensor product in the category of semilattices would be also good). I have not asked whether product of semilattices exists.

something that would be useful

I’ve already said that reading Todd’s responses was a good exercise for me. I am really thankful to Todd.