Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2015

I have received an email asking for clarification at the (old) entry equivalence of 2-categories, as to the meaning of “essentially full”. I have briefly added a parenthetical “i.e. essentially surjective on hom-categories”. But the entry deserves to be expanded a bit more, maybe somebody feels inspired to do so?

1. Tweaked things slightly to emphasise that the notion of biequivalence is relevant both when one is working with weak 2-functors and when one is working with strict ones.

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAlexanderCampbell
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2020
    • (edited Sep 16th 2020)

It’s not true in general that a strict 2-functor between strict 2-categories is a biequivalence (i.e. is biessentially surjective on objects and an equivalence on hom-categories) iff it is part of an “equivalence of 2-categories” as currently defined on this page: the ’inverse’ of the 2-functor might only be a pseudofunctor, not a strict 2-functor. See Example 3.1 in Steve Lack’s paper A Quillen model structure for 2-categories.

2. Feel free to edit the page, it could do with some re-structuring and additions; I was writing quickly earlier just to try to improve things a little. I will adjust the offending paragraph now.

3. Now done.

diff, v15, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2021

added the classical recognition theorem for 2-equivalences assuming AC, copied over from the same material that I just wrote into 2-functor (see the other thread)

As a reference I have added pointer to Thm. 7.4.1 in

but maybe this prompts somobody else to add pointer to original references, if any.

diff, v16, current