Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorKarol Szumiło
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2015

Are topological vector spaces (over \mathbb{R} with standard topology) monadic over topological spaces? Does the forgetful functor at least have a left adjoint?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

The solution set condition is satisfied, and the forgetful functor preserves limits of small diagrams, so we may apply the general adjoint functor theorem. (It’s not clear to me what the left adjoint actually is. I imagine the underlying ordinary vector space is the obvious thing, but what is the topology going to be?)

• CommentRowNumber3.

That’s a good observation, so the free functor exists. I’m curious whether we can describe it explicitly. The best I can say at the moment is that if XX is discrete, then the free TVS on XX is the free VS on XX equipped with the finest topology that makes it a TVS. This can be described quite explicitly as the colimit of A\mathbb{R}^As for all finite AXA \subseteq X with their standard topologies. Perhaps there is some variation of this colimit that takes the topology of XX into account.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Note that there are such things as free topological groups on Tychonoff spaces, so I guess this might be similar.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

It should be noted that in the literature on “free topological groups”, there is often and I think usually imposed extra conditions that are not mandated by the category theory per se, such as the condition that the unit be a topological embedding. There is actually a lot of sweat poured into this by the workers of yesteryear like Markov.

• CommentRowNumber6.

David, free topological groups exist for all spaces by GAFT. I guess the Tychonoff property is sometimes assumed because of the conditions mentioned by Todd.

In any case, this reminded me that I already know the construction of free topological abelian groups. I have learned it from Stefan Schwede and it is easily adapted to TVSs.

For a topological space XX, let X\mathbb{R} X be the free VS on XX. For each mm consider the evaluation map ϕ m: m×X mX\phi_m \colon \mathbb{R}^m \times X^m \to \mathbb{R} X defined as ϕ m(a,x)=a 1x 1++a mx m\phi_m(a, x) = a_1 x_1 + \ldots + a_m x_m. Then the finest topology on X\mathbb{R} X making all ϕ m\phi_ms continuous makes X\mathbb{R} X into the free TVS on XX.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

That makes perfect sense. There’s an obvious generalisation to arbitrary algebraic theories. Funnily enough, I just remembered that I posted something related about enriched Lawvere theories a few weeks ago…

• CommentRowNumber8.

You are right, at first I thought that this uses commutativity somehow, but clearly it doesn’t.

And indeed, my question is a special case of the question you linked and my answer is a special case of yours. Of course, the generality of “topological Lawvere theories” is important since m\mathbb{R}^ms have non-trivial topologies to start with.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2015

I need to make a correction. The constructions I gave in #3 and #6 work in the category of compactly generated spaces but not in the category of all topological spaces.

With the topology I described, X\mathbb{R} X may not even be a TVS. The addition X×XX\mathbb{R} X \times \mathbb{R} X \to \mathbb{R} X may fail to be continuous. There is an explicit counterexample for a discrete XX of cardinality 𝔠\mathfrak{c} in Dugundji’s Topology (A.4.3 in Appendix I). The problem is that the product topology on X×X\mathbb{R} X \times \mathbb{R} X may be to coarse. All of this goes away if we work in the category of compactly generated spaces and is of course consistent with Zhen Lin’s math.SE answer linked in #7 where he assumed that products preserve colimits.

The free TVSs exist in the category of all topological spaces by GAFT but their topologies remain mysterious to me.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2015

Ah, I think I misread your post. I thought you meant to give X\mathbb{R} X the finest topology making the maps

XXX \to \mathbb{R} X n×(X) nX\mathbb{R}^n \times (\mathbb{R} X)^n \to \mathbb{R} X

continuous, but I suppose that might fail to be a complete lattice.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • (edited Dec 8th 2015)

That’s what we would like to say, but it is not clear that there is the finest topology making these maps continuous since X\mathbb{R} X appears in their domains. (And if we know that it exists, it’s still unclear how to construct it from the topology of XX.) I assume that this is what you meant by the complete lattice remark, I haven’t exactly understood that.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • (edited Dec 8th 2015)

Sorry, I missed half a sentence there somehow. What I meant to say: there is a poset of topologies on X\mathbb{R} X making the indicated maps continuous (i.e. the subposet of TVS topologies on X\mathbb{R} X that also makes XXX \to \mathbb{R} X continuous), but I suppose that might fail to be a complete lattice.

In fact, it must be a complete lattice – this what the GAFT argument boils down to – notice that there is a maximal element of this poset (namely, the indiscrete topology on X\mathbb{R} X), and since the forgetful functor (XTVS)Top(X \downarrow \mathbf{TVS}) \to \mathbf{Top} creates all limits, it follows that the intersection of any set of TVS topologies on X\mathbb{R} X making XXX \to \mathbb{R} X continuous must also be a TVS topology making XXX \to \mathbb{R} X continuous. In particular, there is a minimal TVS topology on X\mathbb{R} X making XXX \to \mathbb{R} X continuous. Not very constructive, but neither is the GAFT…

• CommentRowNumber13.

Right, I suspected that the existence argument should be similar to GAFT. In any case, what I wrote in #6 is a rather explicit construction of the topology which does work in the category of compactly generated spaces and this should be good enough for most purposes.