Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2016

I have created an entry-for-inclusion Goodwillie calculus - contents, and have included it as a “floating table of contents” into the relevant entries.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2016

We’re using Goodwillie calculus as a synonym for ’calculus of functors’?

Wikipedia’s page claims there are three branches

• manifold calculus, such as embeddings,
    • homotopy calculus, and
    • orthogonal calculus.

The references at Goodwillie calculus are for the first and second, but there seems no mention of the third.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 5th 2016)

I am referring to the tower of reflections P n:[𝒞,𝒟]Exc n(𝒞,𝒟)P_n \colon [\mathcal{C}, \mathcal{D}] \to Exc^n(\mathcal{C}, \mathcal{D}) to nn-excisive functors (for suitable 𝒞\mathcal{C} and 𝒟\mathcal{D}). This is Goodwillie’s setup, some authors synonymously also call it “calculus of homotopy functors”, e.g. section 10.1 of

“Cubical homotopy theory” (pdf)

The “manifold calculus” is just a special case of this, see section 10.2 of this article.

About “orthogonal calculus” I am not sure at the moment, would need to check.

• CommentRowNumber4.

There some comparison in Comparing the orthogonal and homotopy functor calculi by Barnes and Eldred.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

all right, let’s start orthogonal calculus

• CommentRowNumber6.

Added a paper by Michael Weiss.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2016

Thanks. I have expanded the Idea-section accordingly, and cross-linked a bit more.