Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2016

I have spelled out the derivation of the Gysin sequence from the Serre spectral sequence at Gysin sequence .

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2016
    • (edited Jun 3rd 2016)

I have expanded the proof at Gysin sequence a tad, including some pedantery in an attempt to make it crystal clear why the steps hold.

Most accounts gloss over some subtleties. For instance for concluding in the proof that every element in E 2 0,nE_2^{0,n} is of the form ιb\iota \cdot b with ι\iota the unit in H (B;R)H^\bullet(B;R) but regarded in E 2 0,nE_2^{0,n}, this really needs an argument that the product

E 2 ,0E 2 ,nE 2 0,n E_2^{\bullet,0} \otimes E_2^{\bullet,n} \longrightarrow E_2^{0,n}

in the multiplicative spectral sequence here is indeed just the cup product in the cohomology ring, under the identification

E 2 ,0E 2 ,nH (B;R). E_2^{\bullet,0} \simeq E_2^{\bullet,n} \simeq H^\bullet(B;R) \,.

This needs inspection of the definition of the multiplicative structure, which is tedious (as witnessed by the discussion at multiplicative spectral sequence) and rarely spelled out. I have added pointer to Kochman 96, first equation in the proof of prop. 4.2.9, from which one may see it.

I got into this when trying to write out an elegant proof of the Thom isomorphism not via “relative Serre spectral sequences” but via just applyng the Gysin sequence to the fiberwise cofiber of S(V)D(V)S(V) \to D(V). I think that works, but it does require fine control over how these steps in the Gysin sequence work. Or so it seems to me.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUlrik

BTW, Guillaume Brunerie has worked out the Gysin sequence and the Thom isomorphism in HoTT in his recent thesis (which I don’t think is available yet). He talked about it in Bonn and recently at the Fields Institute in Toronto: abstract and video.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 3rd 2016)

Thanks for the information. Do you know at which minutes in the video these are mentioned?

(I tried to look for it, but the board is unreadable in the recording, so I would have to listen to the whole thing, which I don’t have the time for.)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUlrik

Probably towards the end, but I don’t remember the minute marks, sorry.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, thanks. Strange that the Fields institute doesn’t produce usable video recordings. Somebody should contact them about this…

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2016

I have now added pointer to Brunerie 16