Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2016

at Serre fibration I have spelled out the proof that that with F xXfibYF_x \hookrightarrow X \overset{fib}{\to} Y then π (F)π (X)π (Y)\pi_\bullet(F) \to \pi_\bullet(X)\to \pi_{\bullet(Y)} is exact in the middle. here.

(This is intentionally the low-technology proof using nothing but the definition. )

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2017

Added to Serre fibration a section Properties – Relation to Hurewicz fibrations with pointer to

a) counter-example of a Serre fibration that is not a Hurewicz fibration

b) statement that all Serre fibrations between CW-complexes are Hurewicz fibrations.

Also added to the Examples-section pointer to the homotopy lifting property for covering spaces.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2017

(The projection map of) a fibre bundle over any paracompact space, or more generally, a bundle that admits a trivialisation over a numerable cover, is a Hurewicz fibration, I believe.. In general, all fibre bundles are Serre fibrations.

(I was torn between adding this comment here or at the covering space thread)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDexter Chua
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2017

Fixed some syntax errors

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2018

The ’in particulars’ were ’breeding thick and fast’ in certain parts of this page! I removed one of them to keep the population down.

diff, v17, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2021
    • (edited Mar 22nd 2021)

added the statement (here) that a map is a Serre fibration if its pullback along a numberable open cover is so

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2021
    • (edited Mar 22nd 2021)

I replaced the previous half-sentence claiming that “every” fiber bundle is a Serre fibration by some more detailed statement mentioning numerable fiber bundles and paracompact base spaces, and providing the proof (here)

diff, v20, current

1. Removed the references to May’s Concise course, since it does not treat Serre fibrations (cf. “”)

Anonymous

diff, v21, current

2. Removed the references to May’s Concise course, since it does not treat Serre fibrations (cf. §7.1: “Serre fibrations are more appropriate for many purposes, but we shall make no use of them.”); recognition over numerable convers is a theorem about Hurewicz fibrations, so it would fit better on that page. (For a map f:XYf\colon X\to Y to be a Serre fibration it suffices for f| f 1(U)f 1(U)Uf|_{f^{-1}(U)}f^{-1}(U)\to U to be a Serre fibration for all UU in any open cover of YY; to sketch the construction of the lift: subdivide the I n+1I^{n+1} into a grid of closed subcubes whose image lies in some UU, and construct the lift inductively, starting in the corner with the origin.)

Anonymous

diff, v21, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2021

Thanks for the alert. I’ll fix it when I am back online (on my phone now).

3. Put in a reference for the statement I just gave to tom Dieck’s 2008 book. The stuff about numerable covers is now at Hurewicz fibration.

(Hope I got the formatting right – I’m a long time reader, first time editor…)

Anonymous

diff, v22, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2021

Thanks a million! For all this (catching it, fixing it across pages, and last not least, for setting me straight – much appreciated).

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2021

I have expanded out the statement at local recognition a little, just for beautification.

diff, v24, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2021

added pointer to:

diff, v26, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2021

added the example of empty bundles (here)

diff, v26, current