Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2017

Strangely, we don’t seem to have an nForum discussion for probability theory.

I added a reference there to

It replaces the category of measurable spaces, which isn’t cartesian closed, with the category of quasi-Borel spaces, which is. As they point out in section IX, what they’re doing is working with concrete sheaves on an established category of spaces, rather like the move to diffeological spaces.

[Given the interest in topology around these parts at the moment, we hear of ’C-spaces’ as generalized topological spaces arising from a similar sheaf construction in C. Xu and M. Escardo, “A constructive model of uniform continuity,” in Proc. TLCA, 2013.]

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2019

Added the recent reference

diff, v40, current

1. Update outdated link

Anonymous

diff, v41, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2020

added pointer to

diff, v43, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2021

I gave the existing list of references a subsection “References – General” and then added below that “References – As Euclidean field theory”. There I added pointer to the recent:

Of course, many more pointers must go here, to do this justice. But I leave it at that for the moment

diff, v45, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2021

In “Probability theory” under nPOV view, one can read: xX.λBΣ Y.h(x,B)\forall x \in X . \lambda B \in \Sigma_Y . h(x, B) What does the lambda mean? Perhaps we should note what it is as it seems not to be the only widely accepted standard in probability theory textbooks. Greetings, PJ

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I don’t know, but just to note that the paragraph in question originates all the way from rev 1 back in May 2010 and seems to have been essentially untouched since.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Dec 1st 2021)

The revision was written by David C, but the notation seems to come from the paper of Panangaden. I believe it is just an unnecessarily formal/complicated way to describe the function xh(x,B)x \mapsto h(x,B), i.e. the condition is that for all BΣ YB \in \Sigma_Y, this function (which goes from XX to [0,1]\left[ 0, 1 \right]) is bounded measurable.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorGuest

Thanks for your answers. The lambda seems to come from the Lambda calculus. (c. f. here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda_calculus) and seems to be really a way to notate functions. To be honest, I never worked with Lambda calculus and do not know if it is common knowledge. Greetings, PJ

• CommentRowNumber10.

Richard is right in #8. But the page needs a complete make-over. There’s a huge number of papers in this area. I wonder if we could entice someone like Tobias Fritz to help out.

2. Added imprecise probability, and infra-Bayesianism in the related entries

Alexander Gietelink Oldenziel

diff, v47, current