Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2017

created inner product of vector bundles with the construction over paracompact Hausdorff spaces

1. I think we should change E XEE\oplus_X E to E× XEE\times_X E and E xE xE_x\oplus E_x to E x×E xE_x\times E_x. In my mind VVV\oplus V is a vector space whereas V×VV\times V is a just set. Writing E xE xE_x\oplus E_x\to\mathbb{R} makes me think that the map is linear, whereas E x×E xE_x\times E_x\to\mathbb{R} would just be a function. This is how it’s done on the page “inner product space”, it uses ×\times rather than \oplus.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov

Wouldn’t it be better to simply use ⊗?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Well, you definitely don’t want to say “vector bundle map E XEX×E \oplus_X E \to X \times \mathbb{R}”, because that’s just wrong. I’d think it best to follow Dmitri’s advice, and then break it down into bilinear maps if that seems too high-falutin’.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Woops, sorry. My mind was still on the entry on direct sum of vector bundles, it seems. Fixed now.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Also, it’s not an inner product of vector bundles, rather on vector bundles. I was expecting some sort of categorified thing Vect(X)×Vect(X)Vect(X)\times Vect(X) \to ???

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Good point, I have changed “of” to “on”.