Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorPeter Heinig
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2017
    • (edited Aug 8th 2017)

[removed]

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 8th 2017)

Peter, you should take yourself back more. You are flooding our forum with low-sense, and there is a limit to that. You have been told numerous times that you should try to produce sensible focused content and refrain from your ideosyncratic ramblings.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited Aug 8th 2017)

Urs, ok, I thought this useful, in particular under “Technical Matters”. Thanks for pointing out that your perception of this differs. It seems to me that “ramblings” is putting it too strongly. The review of Fleischner’s article yesterday was given at Richard’s request. Todd asked for a discussion of footnotes. To name two of the posts you were probably referring to. But again, I take it seriously that you think this too much. I will keep to the mathematics.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Somewhere I might have said maybe we could discuss footnotes sometime, but actually I’m not interested in tedious meta-discussions about them, their usage guidelines, etc.. I would only say that they have been over-used and abused recently, for really marginal purposes.

Peter, I think what Urs is saying is that we’re trying to do mathematics. You flood the nForum with comments that are not mathematically substantial. Recently it’s been a whole lot of comments about terminology regarding sources and sinks, so many that it has the effect of a Gish gallop, and I just can’t and won’t deal with that.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited Aug 8th 2017)

Thanks for the comments. Todd, what you are referring to was thought to be on-topic. All except perhaps very few exceptions were painstakingly referencing previous comments, e.g. your request for another suggestion of terminology. I think it understandable to be told something like “Please lower the volume, simply for lower volume’s sake.” To me, “ideosyncratic ramblings” simply seems not proportionate. Yet of course anyone is entitled to such opinions.

Anyway, the suggestions about footnotes are now removed and I try to keep more to mathematics. Again, in many cases what I wrote to me seems simply trying to carefully respond to various comments and request and comments of others, no “flooding”, no “gish”. Now let us look forward.