Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2018
    • (edited Dec 12th 2018)

added pointer to today’s article by Ross Street:

A general abstract formulation of Rost 96 in terms of string diagrams in additive braided monoidal categories is in

diff, v21, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2021
    The following reported error is stopping this page from loading past the contents for me:

"error on line 527 at column 6: Opening and ending tag mismatch: div line 0 and ul"

—Jeff Carlson
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks for the alert.

I have tried to locate the problem. Some experimenting shows that all parts of the entry compile fine by themselves, but something in the second half fails if the TOC is included.

A smaller (non-)working example is now in the Sandbox. This is essentially the second half of the entry, but with the TOC included. And it still gives the error message.

The error message in the Sandbox goes away if one makes one of the following two edits:

1) remove the TOC

or

2) after the line

### Hurwitz's Theorem 

add a line

#### AAAA

In the latter case one sees that the Theorem (the Hurwitz theorem) appears as a subsection in the TOC. Which is a bug.

So I am guessing that this is related to the cause of the problem. On the other hand, removing that theorem doesn’t make the error go away either!

So I give up now.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Jan 4th 2021)

Thank you for reporting this, Jeff, I have fixed the page now.

(For Urs and others, for future reference: since we allowed level 6 headings (i.e. use of ###### in a section heading), the parser has to distinguish theorem environments, which are at the same heading depth HTML-wise, from these. Syntax that it does not expect in a theorem environment can confuse the parser in this respect. In this case, it came from the ’naming’ of the theorem in an old Instiki theorem environment. In general, using the new theorem environment syntax should avoid such issues; I fixed things here by replacing the old theorem syntax with the new. I will tweak the parser when I get the chance to try to handle this kind of case, though, for backwards compatibility.

As a general rule, for table of contents issues, replacing old Instiki syntax with the new theorem environment syntax should fix things; of course it may not be practical to replace an entire page-worth, but usually there are only a few (if any) theorem environments which are non-standard and which might cause problems.)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks, Richard. I forget about the new syntax. It’s not document in HowTo, is it?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Jan 4th 2021)

Yes, it’s documented here, that is, in the section How to organize and write content -> Definition-, Theorem-, Proof- environments. However, the list of available environments is slightly outdated, more are available now. On the other hand, I certainly need to find time to update/replace the instructions on the right when one edits to mention this and other new syntax!

Edit: updated the list of available environments in the HowTo now.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Ah. I did check there but didn’t recognize it. Have tried to make the information more explicit now (here).

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2022

added a disclaimer at the very top that the notion here is un-related to composition ring,

and added a comment in the References-section (here) that the terminology here alludes to “composition of sums of squares”. This would deserve to be expanded on much more, for the moment I added a pointer to section 6 of

• Olga Taussky, Sums of squares, The American Mathematical Monthly 77 8 (1970) 805-830 [[doi:10.2307/2317016]]

diff, v26, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorperezl.alonso
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2023

edited definition to include cases that are not unital, and added reference to recent arXiv:2309.17435

diff, v27, current

• CommentRowNumber10.

This begs the question. How do these para- and non-unital composition algebras relate to statements about supersymmetry? In particular, it seems there should be some nice connection to Berger’s theorem.

1. added a generalization of composition algebras from the category of vector spaces to any monoidal category

Anonymouse

diff, v29, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Where you define structures “in” some category it may be worthwhile to link to internalization, for explanation of what this means, say via

[[internalization|in]]

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Added definition of the norm, as it was just used without prior warning

diff, v32, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2023

Before I forget, regarding “para-” and supersymmetry (#10), the answer seems to be along the lines of hep-th/9907046 and work along the lines of Section 4 of 1909.04646.