Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorLuigi
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2019
    • (edited Jun 24th 2019)

Hello, I would like to show a poster at String Math 2019 which summarizes the project in geometry of Double Field Theory I have been working on in last months.

I want to disclaim: I have a physical and not mathematical background, so I honestly expect various naiveties (especially in the more abstract notions). But I hope there is at least some reasonable core.

~ Here is the Link draft poster

Any feedback (or correction) is really appreciated, thanks in advance.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 24th 2019)

Looks good! I gather you will still add pointer to a reference?!

(If I may bluntly ask: Would you mind sharing your style file with me? I will also make a poster contribution at Strings2019, but haven’t gotten around to setting myself up…)

Regarding the final question on your poster:

Can a super non-abelian Higher Kaluza-Klein Theory on the total space of the (twisted) M2/M5-brane gerbe over the 11d super-spacetime geometrize M-theory and its dualities?

As you may know we have some results on exactly this, see Higher T-duality of super M-branes.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

I will also make a poster contribution at Strings2019

You have good evidence that you’ve cracked M-theory, and you’re there just to give a poster!

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorLuigi
    • (edited Jun 24th 2019)

I gather you will still add pointer to a reference?!

Of course, I am doing it right now

EDIT: file updated.

(If I may bluntly ask: Would you mind sharing your style file with me? I will also make a poster contribution at String2019, but haven’t gotten around to setting myself up…)

I used this template here

EDIT: oh, so it is not StringMath in Uppsala

As you may know we have some results on exactly this, see Higher T-duality of super M-branes (schreiber).

I know this paper and I am intrigued by your ideas, as far as I can understand them.

But I hope considering this groupoid (locally looking like T *U αT^\ast U_\alpha) as doubled space makes some sense.

I hope that, if this picture works, can be directly extended to Exceptional Field Theory. For instance by dimensional reducing the local data of M2/M5 gerbe on a 6-torus-bundle on a 5-dimensional base you should get 15+6 functions on twofold overlaps of patches. Together with the 6 transition functions of the 6-torus-bundle you should get 27 functions on twofold overlaps which is the dimension expected in ExFT for d=5. If you do the same on a 4-torus bundle on a 7-dimensional base you get 10 functions on twofold overlaps, which is still the dimension expected in ExFT for d=7.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 24th 2019)

I used this template here

Ah, I see. Thanks.

EDIT: oh, so it is not StringMath in Uppsala

Sure, my bad.

For instance by dimensional reducing the local data of M2/M5 gerbe on a 6-torus-bundle on a 5-dimensional base you should get 15+6 functions on twofold overlaps of patches.

Sorry, say again how you are counting here?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorLuigi
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2019
    • (edited Jun 25th 2019)

Sorry, say again how you are counting here?

Yes, sorry. This is a very rough argument.

An M2/M5 gerbe should have as local data a collection of 2-forms Λ αβ M2\Lambda_{\alpha\beta}^{M2} and 5-forms Λ αβ M5\Lambda_{\alpha\beta}^{M5} on two-fold overlaps U αU βU_\alpha \cap U_\beta of patches of MM and so on on nn-fold overlaps.

Now, if MM is a T 6T^6-bundle on some 55-dimensional base M 0M_0, we can KK reduce every form to M 0M_0. So Λ αβ M2\Lambda_{\alpha\beta}^{M2} will give a 2-form Λ αβ M2(2)\Lambda_{\alpha\beta}^{M2(2)}, six 1-forms Λ αβ M2(1)i\Lambda_{\alpha\beta}^{M2(1) i } and 15 scalars Λ αβ M2(0)ij\Lambda_{\alpha\beta}^{M2(0) i j }. I do the same with Λ αβ M5\Lambda_{\alpha\beta}^{M5} to get 6 scalars Λ αβ M5(0)ijkln\Lambda_{\alpha\beta}^{M5(0) i j k l n }.

Hopefully these scalars can be interpreted as the transition functions of some (probably twisted) bundle over M 0M_0. Together with the starting T 6T^6-bundle it’d be something locally looking like U α×T 6×T 15×T 6=U α×T 27U_\alpha\times T^6\times T^{15}\times T^6 = U_\alpha\times T^{27}. This is the dimension expected for the extended manifold of d=5d=5 Exceptional Field Theory. One could define an E 6(6)()E_{6(6)}(\mathbb{Z})-action for U-duality, etc. The U-duals of the starting bundle should be the so-called U-folds.

(The others KK reduced forms should give tensor hierarchy).

This is basically the line I’d like to follow for ExFT.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

In case you’re wondering, Luigi (and maybe if you start editing pages on the nLab), one difference with the Itex used here is the need to have spaces, so e.g., those superscripts are italicized via Λ αβ M5(0)ijkln\Lambda_{\alpha\beta}^{M5(0)i j k l n} (\Lambda_{\alpha\beta}^{M5(0)i j k l n}).

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorLuigi

Thanks!

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 25th 2019)

Thanks. So it seems in this counting you are disregarding some of the KK-modes. For instance the 2-form descendant of the 2-form, and all the higher form descendants of the 5-form. I am used to counting as here. But that gives E 7E_7-reps, while I gather you are after the E 6E_6-reps. Allright.

Anyway, I see now what you are saying. Thanks. Yes, I certainly agree that exceptional geometry is all about including the local freedom in the higher gauge fields into the spacetime coordinates, absolutely.

I think at the bottom of it is really the fact that D=11D=11, 𝒩=1\mathcal{N} = 1 exceptional super-spacetimes exc,s 10,1|32\mathbb{R}^{10,1\vert \mathbf{32}}_{\mathrm{exc},s} (as in FSS18, 4.6, but really being the “hidden supergroup” all the way back in DF81, Sec. 6) is the supermanifold version of the classifying space for M5-sigma model fields (as in FSS19b Prop. 4.31, FSS19c Prop. 4.4), which itself is the pullback of the quaternionic Hopf fibration along the map classifying the C-field in Cohomotopy. As illustrated in the graphics here.