Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry bundles calculus categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive constructive-mathematics cosmology definitions deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry differential-topology digraphs duality education elliptic-cohomology fibration finite foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry goodwillie-calculus graph graphs gravity group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory infinity integration integration-theory internal-categories k-theory lie lie-theory limit limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic manifolds mathematics measure-theory modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology multicategories nonassociative noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pasting philosophy physics planar pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory string string-theory subobject superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory type type-theory variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber501.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2015
    • (edited Feb 27th 2015)

The other two are from 91.200.12.42 which is a known Ukrainian spam address. (Can someone more knowledgeable please check this out. It seems to be a bot / spider.) I will clear the two pages and send them to ‘empty’. (143 and 144)

• CommentRowNumber502.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2015

The wp-login pages are probably automatic attempts from a bot to gain access to our hypothetical WordPress installation.

• CommentRowNumber503.
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2015

I emptied a page F-theory - From11dSupergravity which seemed to be spammed. It is now empty 146.

• CommentRowNumber504.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2015

Seems to be spam again, see latest revisions, probably from ’Computer Science’ up to ’mylab Classical dynamics books’.

• CommentRowNumber505.
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2015
    • (edited Sep 6th 2015)

Usually I delete and empty such entries, but in this case I was waiting to see if whoever had created the ‘mylab’ pages had some useful intent behind their attempt. What do others think? As David_C says, the entries start at Computer Science then mylab and so on, and at all from anon1 at 41.178.232.137, who is in Egypt it seems.

• CommentRowNumber506.

I think it’s spam. I never can quite remember what exactly we do. Is there a recipe we could write somewhere?

• CommentRowNumber507.
    • (edited Sep 6th 2015)

I will try to remember… although sometimes I get it wrong. :-(

A problem can arise if the page really was spamming something already written, so check the page did not have a History first. If it did exist prior to the Spamming, revert to the latest unspammed version. If not then you delete the contents, check the last number used on an ’empty’ file, (currently 146) and change the name on the offending file to the next (’empty 147’). (I think that is all, but am sure that others will check on what I have said.) Oh! remember the obvious thing that renaming a page will create a redirect so go back and clear that as well.

• CommentRowNumber508.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

What Tim has outlined is what I recall Toby recommending to do in these cases.

• CommentRowNumber509.
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2015

Ok, thanks. So empty 147-151 are born.

• CommentRowNumber510.
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2015

Thanks, David, I usually do this but am travelling and was busy. I have also to prepare the the meeting in Paris at the end of the month!

• CommentRowNumber511.
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2015

The page meta topological space looks exceeding flaky to me. Not sure what to do about it. Not sure it’s quite spam, but certainly no good in its current state. The author, ’D. Ely’ has also made Meta matrices, which is likewise very odd.

• CommentRowNumber512.
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2015

Both look ’flaky’ to me. Perhaps put a polite warning notice on the shorter one giving a time limit for the author to explain what is intended on these pages. What do you think?

• CommentRowNumber513.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

My own opinion, for what it’s worth, is that it’s not worth it spending any time dealing with the author. I would just get rid of them.

• CommentRowNumber514.

Thanks, Todd, I agree. That meta topological space one is particularly useless.

• CommentRowNumber515.
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2015

One addition to Tim's directions in #507: You should be able to quickly see how high up the empty pages go by checking http://ncatlab.org/nlab/list/empty. But this only works if you make the content of the new empty pages read

category: empty

instead of being literally empty! I have done this up to empty 152 now.

• CommentRowNumber516.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2015

I have cleared “meta topological space” and have renamed “Meta matrices” to hypermatrix, which is a term that is pretty standard in the context of discussion of hyperdeterminants.

• CommentRowNumber517.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I added a reference to hyperdeterminants, linking to an MO discussion of volume interpretations of hyperdeterminants.

• CommentRowNumber518.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Oct 19th 2015)

516: I disagree that hypermatrix is another term for tensor in more than 2 dimensions. It is equally wrong as claiming that an ordinary matrix is a tensor. Quadratic matrix can represent a tensor in particular basis, but the matrix does not know its origin. It does not know if it represents a covariant 2-tensor, or contravariant 2-tensor or mixed 1-1-tensor, and so on, nor it knows in which basis this representation is taken, hence it is not giving the complete information on a tensor. It is frosen datum of a tensor provided we know the basis. If we do not have this supplementary datum then it is not.

I am on the other hand not sure if the term is used for non-quadratic matrices of higher number of indices/dimensions.

• CommentRowNumber519.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2015

Sure, basis representations. I have added the word to the entry.

• CommentRowNumber520.
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2015

Fundamentally, an mm-by-nn matrix with entries from the set KK is an element of K m×K nK^m \times K^n, which is not any sort of tensor. However, if KK is a field and you wish to add and multiply the matrices in the usual way, then an nn-by-nn matrix is a (1,1)(1,1)-tensor on K nK^n, with multiplication given by contraction. Since K nK^n comes with a preferred basis, you can interpret such a matrix as a (0,2)(0,2)-tensor or a (2,0)(2,0)-tensor, but this is less direct. This is why people sometimes use the word ‘matrix’ to refer to a (1,1)(1,1)-tensor, even though that is (strictly speaking) improper. (Dually, people sometimes use the word ‘vector’ to refer to a list.)

Why are we discussing this in the Spam thread?

• CommentRowNumber521.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2016

I got serious spam from IP 37.25.117.59 with stupid Russian texts overwriting all my text, today, on 09:57 January 18 on HomePage (zoranskoda) and homotopija lekcija2 (zoranskoda). I rolled it back.

• CommentRowNumber522.
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2016
    • (edited Feb 14th 2016)

The page Algebres enveloppantes (Cahiers scientifiques, fasc. 37) (French Edition) (French) Paperback – 1974 (created by an Anon Coward at 197.2.58.222) looks to me like the filename of a torrent-sourced copy of a book. In this case, it’s a book by Dixmier, and the title of that page could have been copied verbatim from this Amazon page.

• CommentRowNumber523.
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2016

I made that last one a real page and linked to it from universal enveloping algebra.

• CommentRowNumber524.
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2017
    • (edited Sep 4th 2017)

Mysterious spam from 2405:204:8485:ab49:a8f3:c856:6f17:9f86 at floor. It just says ’3.6’.

What is that type of identifier as a search did not produce any results?

• CommentRowNumber525.
    • CommentAuthorAlexisHazell
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2017

It’s an IPv6 address.

• CommentRowNumber526.
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2017
    • (edited Oct 1st 2017)

I put some content at floor. (Such content may be discussed in a separate discussion.)

• CommentRowNumber527.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2018
    • (edited Apr 15th 2018)

Unclear whether it is technically spam, but have deleted a page ’real line and circle with one point remove is homeomorphic’ created today (its only content was a copy of the title), as well as the announcement which it generated on the nForum.