Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorIan_Durham
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010
    • (edited Apr 4th 2010)
    Suppose there exists a set of matrices, Ak, that are linearly independent (that is, each matrix is linearly independent of all the other matrices in the set). How would one represent such a set in category theoretic terms? (This relates to the particularly sticky problem of how to categorically describe extremal quantum channels.)
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi

You may as well just title your posts "Vague Title"!

• CommentRowNumber3.
    Harry: I actually realized that after I had posted it, but then couldn't find a way to change the title of the post.
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi

Click "edit" on the first post, then change title at the top.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    Harry: thanks. Didn't think that would allow me to change the title, but obviously it did.
    • CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • (edited Apr 4th 2010)

I don't know either, but here are some thoughts to maybe push things forward a small step.

There is a category Vect whose objects are vector spaces and morphisms are linear maps.

There is a category Set whose objects are sets and morphisms are functions.

There is a forgetful functor

U:Vect\to Set

which takes a vector space V and maps it to the underlying "set" of vectors.

Whenever you have a forgetful functor laying around, it is usually interesting to look at its adjoint functor which goes the other way

F:Set\to Vect

This takes a "set" A and gives a vector space. In physics/engineering, you'd say the "vector space spanned by A".

So the beginning of your question could be rephrased to something like "Say we have a set A of matrices A_k and form the free vector space F(A)."

I'm not sure where to go from here other than maybe to point out that the determinant det is a functor.

Ok. Hopefully an expert can step in now :)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

A general nonsense formalism, not in the sense of category theory, to bases and linear independence, has been axiomatized by a Bourbaki member Whitney, under the name "matroid". Do we have an entry matroid ?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010
    Apparently we don't have an entry on matroid. I've heard of matroids though. I'll have to look them up.

I like where Eric is going with this, though. Perhaps some sort of composition of the forgetful functor described above and its adjoint could be used to capture the linear independence condition I'm looking for.
    • CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Well, just to pick up where Eric left off: suppose I is an index set for a collection of vectors in a vector space V (for example, V could be a vector space of matrices). In other words, suppose we have a function A: I \to V which takes k \in I to A_k \in V. In other words, suppose we have a function A: I \to U(V), where U(V) is the underlying set of V (U: Vect \to Set being the functor which forgets vector space structure).

Then, by the free-forgetful adjunction to which Eric refers, the function A: I \to U(V) corresponds uniquely to a linear map \hat{A}: F(I) \to V.

The collection \{A_k\} is linearly independent if \hat{A} is an injection (a monomorphism); equivalently, if the kernel of \hat{A} is trivial.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    So presumably extending this to the collection is relatively trivial as is, perhaps, extending this to . The question is how to check if these conditions hold over a tensor product (functor).
    • CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Could you make this question about the tensor product more explicit?

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010
    Sure. So, suppose we show that the set of matrices (or, more appropriately, operators with matrix representation) is a linearly independent set. There are a few specific examples from physics where the set is not linearly independent. The question is if there is a way to check in going from the first to the second, if the linear independence condition holds.