Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2019
    • (edited Jul 24th 2019)

The connected components functor π 0:TopSet\pi_0\colon Top \to Set lifts through TotDisconnTopSetTotDisconnTop \to Set, giving π 0(X)\pi_0(X) the quotient topology coming from the natural map Xπ 0(X)X\to \pi_0(X). One can also define a pro-set version of π 0(X)\pi_0(X) by taking the diagram π 0 pro(X)\pi_0^{pro}(X) with objects the surjective continuous maps q:XS qq\colon X\to S_q where S qS_q is a discrete space, and maps the obvious commutative triangles. The limit of this diagram in TopTop is a pro-discrete space, a subspace of the topological product qS q\prod_q S_q. As such it is a Hausdorff totally disconnected space. I imagine some loss of information has happened in passing from the pro-set to the limit (since the limit functor from pro-sets to spaces is apparently not full; at least the version for locales is not). Here are some obvious questions:

• by the universal property for π 0(X)\pi_0(X), there is a map π 0(X)limπ 0 pro(X)\pi_0(X) \to \lim\pi_0^{pro}(X). Is this map the Hausdorffification?

• Is π 0(X)\pi_0(X) always Hausdorff? (There are totally disconnected spaces that aren’t)

• Does π 0(X)\pi_0(X) contain the ’same information’ as π 0 pro(X)\pi_0^{pro}(X)?

• Can we recover the space π 0(X)\pi_0(X) from π 0 pro(X)\pi_0^{pro}(X)? (probably not)

• CommentRowNumber2.

One could think of this in the same light as Clausen and Scholze’s “Condensed mathematics”, which is done working in sheaves over the pro-étale site of the point, or equivalently small sheaves on the category of extremally disconnected spaces with the extensive pretopology.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Re “is π 0(X)\pi_0(X) always Hausdorff?” – if you do take a totally disconnected non-Hausdorff space XX, isn’t then the quotient map Xπ 0(X)X \to \pi_0(X) a homeomorphism? In general, a quotient map p:XYp: X \to Y is a homeomorphism if the underlying function is a bijection, no?

• CommentRowNumber4.

Bleh, of course… :-/

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2019

So here is some progress: limπ 0 pro(X)\lim \pi_0^{pro}(X) is zero-dimensional Hausdorff, and there are continuous maps π 0(X)π 0 quasi(X)limπ 0 pro(X)\pi_0(X) \to \pi_0^{quasi}(X) \to \lim\pi_0^{pro}(X), where the middle space is that of quasi-components, and is totally separated (such spaces are equal to their own π 0 quasi\pi_0^{quasi}). I think the second map is injective, but not an embedding in general. The first map is surjective, but not injective in general. There are also Hausdorff totally separated spaces that aren’t zero-dimensional.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

This reminds me somewhat of what Eduardo Dubuc was doing in the late 1990s. He was if I remember correctly using locales however.Ieke Moerdijk also worked on this sort of thing. Something along was published as ‘Localic Galois theory’ by Dubuc in Advances, in 2003 although that was going off in another direction.

May I ask why you want to bother with taking the limit as pro-sets work better and taking the limit does destroy information? Of course the answer may just be ‘curiosity’!

• CommentRowNumber7.

Complete curiosity. I guess the main question I was wondering is whether the pro-set version has the same information as the topological space of connected components. Certainly the limit of the pro-set has less information, but it’s not even clear how one would sensibly phrase a statement of this sort.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2019

One could also consider the limit of the pro-set in the category of locales. This would potentially give another invariant. I saw this on the lab somewhere, but I can’t find it again! It said on the page that the limit functor wasn’t full, so likely there is loss of information there as well.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • (edited Jul 26th 2019)

i recall something along those lines, possibly in work by Marta Bunge, or Eduardo Dubuc, or Ieke Moerdijk or combinations of them. I have a hard copy in a box file under a bed upstairs here, but am not volunteering to find it now! A perhaps related paper is The fundamental localic groupoid of a topos in JPAA by John Kennison. Marta Bunge wrote: Classifying Toposes and Fundamental Localic Groupoids but I note these look more at the π 1\pi_1 analogue of your question.

• CommentRowNumber10.

Thanks. The connected components locale of the Π 1\Pi_1 would give the π 0\pi_0 probably, but it’s more the comparison between these things which is intriguing me at the moment.