Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2019

Created a hyperlinked table of contents.

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2020

Some truly strange bugs in the table of contents.

I have no idea what is going on here.

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 17th 2020)

Let me see. Ah, the parser gets confused about rendering the TOC when there are hyperlinks in section titles.

But even if it worked, would it be a good idea? A section title that appears in the TOC already is a hyperlink all by itself, namely to the anchor point where the respective section starts. I feel that even if the parser wouldn’t be confused, then next the reader would be. Where should a user be sent, and where should they want to be sent, who clicks on a hyperlinked TOC item? To the anchor point on this page or to that other page?

I am happy to see that you practice the prolific hyperlinking that I think adds much extra value to our Wiki, and which I routinely (have to) add to other contributor’s writings here. But I feel that extra-hyperlinked items in an already hyperlinked TOC is too much in regards of hyper-typesetting.

I feel the TOC item should lead the reader to its respective section, and nowhere else, and then that section should do all it can to provide the reader with links – and with comments/indications allowing the reader to know whether they want to follow them.

• CommentRowNumber4.

Re #3: I completely agree with you that the table of contents should have no hyperlinks of this type.

However, in my opinion it simply means that the parser should strip them out when it creates the table of contents.

The items can remain hyperlinked in the main text, or is this also a problem?

• CommentRowNumber5.

A related question: how can one suppress section numbering? This book already numbers sections using roman numerals.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

the parser should strip them out when it creates the table of contents.

Sure, in a better world it would be like that.

I fully agree with all the ideas that you voice on what could be improved about the parser and the rendering. It would be magnificent if you could implement some of them. If Richard is offline at the moment, you might also try to contact Alexis Hazell (or he might see us here), he can also point you to what is where, I think.

how can one suppress section numbering?

As you may have guessed, one cannot. At the moment.

It’s great to see you being ambitious about the nLab software. My last attempt to crowd-fund somebody to work on it seems to have failed. So we need volunteers to lend a hand, with some time and energy at their disposal. It would be greatly appreciated.